2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spam emails - unsubscribe or not?

Like everyone I get emails that are obviously unsolicited which I just delete – they often have an unsubscribe button but I do not do so as I believe that would confirm they have made a real hit with their “spray” technique, leading to lots more spam. Lately I have been getting emails from what seems to be a genuine online retailer that I might have bought from at some time in the past but cannot remember – they also have an unsubscribe button but if I click on that I am asked to confirm my email address; I abort at this stage because if they new my email address when sending the email to me why do they want me to confirm it – am I right.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi, Mike.

In the instance of the retailer (or any other site/forum that you've commented on/signed up to) log into the site directly - not via the email link - and sign in or request a new password, if you need to, then go to your settings and turn off any non-administrative (you should leave admin contact on for security reasons) email contact - or - ask them to delete your details/profile from the system.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-03-05)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If the site is indeed a genuine retailer then I think you can safely unsubscribe. You need to check it is the retailer's site and not a 3rd party site.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-03-05)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As a habit/default, I advise:
    Do not click the 'unsubscribe' link or button on the link in your email. Worse, the linked/redirected could be a false site with a copied legit webpage to fool you as well.
    If not sure, move it to spam folder or delete it.

Delete does not really delete the email. It is simply moved to the 'Delete' folder (Trash folder).
    Delete is important for POP3 email system. It tells the POP3 email server to move the email to the Delete (Trash) folder of the server. This clears/unclogs the InBox folder. The server's Trash folder will be emptied after a preset scheduled delay (usually from several days to a few weeks).

I have seen reports that it is safe to click 'unsubscribe' even on junk email. I tried that myself a while back. I'd say 60% or more has no effect, neither decrease nor increase junk emails. However, recently, there *WAS* an increase in junk emails if I clicked 'unsubscribe'. I think the 'unsubscribe' button, as of recently, tells the spammer that it reaches a real (read: valuable) address.

I used a honey-pot email address during the trial.
    For those I knowingly subscribe to, the 'unsubscribe' link/button always works. The problem is, you have to be careful that the email is 'real thing'.
    Last edited by scaisson; 2014-03-04 at 18:27.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to scaisson For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-03-05)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your advice - i will act accordingly

Thanks
    If I'm not sure about the unsubscribe link, I will set up a rule in my email to auto delete any emails which come from that sender. Also, I may block the sending domain in my router.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, I may block the sending domain in my router.
    This is probably counter productive and definitely not worth the effort. Spam with viral payloads are unlikely to contain any reference to the domain used to control / receive data from the virus. And if the sending domain is only hosting a bot, you have just blocked a site you may want to visit.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Yeah, I know. Incoming email is unlikely to be affected by a block from your router.