5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft reinvents its online Office suite

BEST SOFTWARE

Microsoft reinvents its online Office suite

By Katherine Murray

Office.com is now the gateway to all Office Online apps: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and more.

On Feb. 20, Microsoft launched a new look and new tools for its free online suite of productivity apps. Here's a quick tour.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/best-softw...-office-suite/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All this is fine, but what does it do for us that have limited data, other than cost a mint in overage charges.
    Since I travel a lot I use a Verizon Jetpak, and worked hard to avoid cloud storage and online programs. 5 gigs can go fast
    even telling windows 8.1 that your on a metered connection.

Thanks
    I personally won't be using office.com, because I have no need or desire to do collaboration. Any collaboration I need to do is already provided to me by my employer.

The problem I have is, they continually push "collaboration", but they never, ever discuss privacy concerns. The average user doesn't understand that all of this free stuff comes with a price -- your privacy.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontx View Post
    All this is fine, but what does it do for us that have limited data, other than cost a mint in overage charges.
    Since I travel a lot I use a Verizon Jetpak, and worked hard to avoid cloud storage and online programs. 5 gigs can go fast
    even telling windows 8.1 that your on a metered connection.
    You can still save whatever you want locally. No one is forced to save in the cloud.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I personally won't be using office.com, because... they never, ever discuss privacy concerns.
    Sorry but my experience is different.

I went to Office.com's home page and clicked on the clearly-labelled Privacy and Cookies link (bottom-right of Office.com's home page).This showed Microsoft's privacy statement. I had to scroll quite a bit to get to the end of it.

office_online.jpg
    Click on picture to enlarge.

At the end of it I found more links to information about privacy.
    office_online1.jpg
    Click on picture to enlarge.

I also clicked on the Support link (top right of Office.com's home page), entered 'privacy' as my search criteria and the results showed three pages of privacy-related links to more info.

Thanks
    I stand corrected. But what I meant was, they don't tell you about the privacy concerns with the same prominence as the benefits of collaboration.

Thanks
    Microsoft sends me notifications in Spanish, I suppose because I was in Mexico when I set up my Outlook.com account. How can I change my language preference in Outlook.com?
    Bill Meacham
    bmeacham98 AT yahoo.com

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Katherine Murray cues tepid applause for the replacement of SkyDrive by OneDrive - however IMO it should be much more than tepid. OneDrive in the cloud finally and fully mirrors my OneDrive folder on my PC meaning that at last I can use it as my offsite backup. Three and a half cheers for Microsoft. Skydrive used to try to sync my PC with the cloud, meaning that files I deleted on my PC would then re-download - totally useless for a backup solution!