iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Notes from the RSA Conference on security

TOP STORY

Notes from the RSA Conference on security

By Michael Lasky

Long gone are the days when PC security mostly meant installing anti-virus software and keeping it updated. Today, the digital assault on our money and privacy is expanding and changing at a truly mind-boggling pace.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/top-story/notes-from-the-rsa-conference-on-security]/ (free content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2014-03-05 at 18:47.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

L1NGUS (2014-03-06),northwood2222 (2014-03-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been a subscriber for years and a Windows user since v1 was bundled with Aldus Pagemaker and this is the first time I've felt compelled to respond to one of the stories in this newsletter. This story is good for the information it contains however it loses all credibility by citing RSA. Since RSA sold out to the NSA I wouldn't trust them if they told me the sun rises in the east!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In your article, You wrote: "Blue Coat's advice is simple: avoid clicking ads on your mobile device. Consider blocking Web ads altogether."

I already avoid clicking ads like the plague. To me, that's a no-brainer, but "blocking Web ads altogether" is a different matter entirely. Android devices come with a stock Web browser, but I use the Chrome mobile browser and Google isn't real big on "blocking Web ads altogether." There's an option to block popups, but that doesn't stop some advertising from getting through. I'd be extremely interested in how one goes about "blocking Web ads entirely."

Thanks
    Just wondering when Microsoft is going to take care of the Crypto nasty ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too want to know why the crypto nasty is still alive. More critical still, what in the name of all that's holy do the Microsofts and Googles think they are up to? If Apple can do a pretty good job, why not the rest ? Must be sloppy work!

Thanks
    In relation to the Crypto Nasty there is at least someone working on this NASTY !

http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

Why isn't Microsoft ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Any advice on securing mobile devices, particularly Android smartphones, without killing the battery?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dbailey18 View Post
    In relation to the Crypto Nasty there is at least someone working on this NASTY !

http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/cryptoprevent/

Why isn't Microsoft ?
    Microsoft security software detects and removes this threat, and has done for six months (First detected on: Sep 10, 2013. This entry was first published on: Sep 10, 2013.)

Bruce

Thanks
    Anybody tried AdBlock Plus for Android? Seems like that could solve a lot of problems! I didn't even look to see if NoScript is available.

Good article BTW Michael!