New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Mail Merge not bringing in filtered Excel range

Hi All,

I'm trying to use Word's mail merge feature to create labels. I have a spreadsheet in Excel which contains all my data. This is a filtered range based only on what labels I want to print. In Word, I'm given the option of selecting the full range or the filtered range when I link my spreadsheet, but when I select the filtered range, it is still importing everything from Excel, not just what I have filtered. I have almost 10,000 rows of data in Excel, so it is not feasible to uncheck each label I don't want to import. Does anyone know why it isn't bringing in only the filtered range, even though that's the option I'm selecting? I'm using Word and Excel 2007.

Thanks so much!
    canadian_chickie

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi canadian_chickie,

Without actually seeing the problem mailmerge document and some sample data, it can be difficult for anyone to diagnose the issue. Can you attach a the document and a sample data file to a post (delete anything sensitive)? You do this via the paperclip symbol on the 'Go Advanced' tab.

FWIW, another way of applying filtering is to use the SKIPIF field. But let's see if we can get the problem sorted out the conventional way, first.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

Documents attached as per your request. Please note, on the Excel document, the filter has been applied the same as on the actual spreadsheet.

Thanks,
    canadian_chickie

Test Label.xlsx
    AP Label Template.docx

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi canadian_chickie,

I've had a look at your files but, given you've detached the document from the data-source (i.e. saved it as an ordinary document), I can't see what filtering you're trying to use. I note that you have the Excel file configured with filtering, but that has no bearing on the mailmerge - you need to do the filtering from within Word, either by checking/unchecking entries in the recipients list or by creating the required filtering rules there.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want Word to only pull the filtered range from Excel, not the entire Excel document though. The original Excel document has almost 10,000 rows of data, so it is not feasible to manually filter in Word. This is the only label document I have that won't pull the filtered range from Excel. I have also already tried re-doing the label template, both from scratch and from a different one that is working properly.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you been able to use the current Excel filtering in Word's merge before? I would be surprised if Word had the ability to filter by the colour formatting as per your Excel file. The query string to filter coloured rows in the same way as Excel does would need to be contained in a SQL query but I don't know if that is possible.

I would add another field to your Excel data and use that field as your filter in Word.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi canadian_chickie,
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_chickie View Post
    I want Word to only pull the filtered range from Excel, not the entire Excel document though.
    In that case, you'll need to copy your filtered list to a new worksheet, which will delete whatever you've filtered out, then use the resulting worksheet as the datasource.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]