Thanks

Microsoft releases Windows 8.1 Update 1 to manufacturing

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-relea...ng-7000026983/

General availability estimated to be April 8.

Jerry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

zigzag3143 (2014-03-08)

Thanks
    An evaluation of Update 1 from Ars Technica.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    An evaluation of Update 1 from Ars Technica.
    The author is obviously against the Windows 7 style start menu / start button:

I'm not really sure who Update 1 is for, or what problems it is supposed to solve. The big complaint about the Start screen—that it's full screen, and not the hierarchical mess that the Start menu became—is entirely ignored. I think that this could be counterproductive: while Microsoft is making changes that are, notionally at least, concessions to mouse and keyboard users, the company still isn't providing what many of these users say they want. This has been perceived as arrogance before; I suspect that will continue.

I don't happen to think that ignoring the cries for a Start menu is actually a bad thing; I think the Start menu is past its prime. It doesn't scale well, making search all but essential, and the Start screen is a better place for pinning commonly-used applications than the Start menu ever was.
    He doesn't happen to think that ignoring the cries for a Start menu is actually a bad thing; he thinks the Start Menu is a "hierarchical mess."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    The author is obviously against the Windows 7 style start menu / start button:

He doesn't happen to think that ignoring the cries for a Start menu is actually a bad thing; he thinks the Start Menu is a "hierarchical mess."
    So it would appear. I happen to like the Start Menu; I use StartIsBack for Windows 8 and StartIsBack+ for 8.1.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Banned Member
    Thanks
    No bother @ all. The OS is fine w/out the old style start button/menu. Actually gets tiring hearing rhetoric over this topic. And it becomes a moot point considering one can use Windows 8.1 w/out ever leaving Desktop. Myself, for example, don't think I ever need to visit that screen, not cause there's anything particularly wrong w/ it or bad about, just not necessary... so hardly worth fussing about it. I live & work 100% on Desktop & never have to switch screens to access anything . As for the old stuff, it's a bit of a non-issue for me... I had quit using that old start menu long before any of us even knew of Win8.

I know folks will get mad @ this but, if you crave unnecessarily adding 3rd Party start things to the OS, than you are missing something about how Win8 can be used. Win8.1 can be navigated faster, easier & w/ greater simplicity than Windows systems before it & that's w/out & before adding any of those things. And I am not arguing or giving an opinion... it's just a simple truth & fact.

The interesting thing here is every single client or person I have set up w/ Windows 8.1 loves it & has none of complaints or cravings for this 3rd Party stuff to revert back to dressing Win8.1 up as some previous OS and none have wish for the old stuff back. I wonder if this is because of how the OS was presented to them.

And maybe I'm just dumb, blind IT Pro but, I have never understood why people try to say there is a problem mousing Windows 8.1 Seems to work just fine w/ a mouse.

Ok, sure put Power & Search buttons on Start... I'm never there, in the 1st place but, maybe it will matter to somebody. Boot to Desktop, now by default and sweat what's on Start.... seems like an oxymoron.

I've read about the features in the Update. Some are ok & can maybe even be seen as helpful & handy... others seem silly, redundant & unneeded. Why put a power button on Start when one's primary place to be is Desktop, you don't work @ anything whilst sitting on the Start screen. And a Search button on Start, that's just plain hilarious.. besides Search on the Charms Bar, you hit 3 different Hotkeys for search PLUS, on either Start or Applications screens one can just type what they seek, no silly button needed, so why the heck put one there... make no obvious sense to me. The Rt Clk menus, that's ok. BUT, why the hell put APPs all over the Taskbar when there is, already, the Switcher Bar. But, if the idea is that people will like it, than may as well indulge folks, I guess. However, to say these things are due to people thinking Win8.1 suffers if on a non-Touch PC... it doesn't. But, to put a lot of focus & attention on Start when that is not where we live, work or play, anyway, that I, really, don't get... for me, I'll, still, be on Desktop. My Win key goes to Applications which, I go to only on those occasions when I want to Search by typing on its screen. But, again, why when a Hotkey can give whatever Search is wanted and the keyboard is just as quick & easy as bother to (unnecessarily) leave Desktop & go to a different screen... you're just going to go back to Desktop so why leave it in the first place. As far as making it easier or more 'intuitive' to close APPs by pulling it down from top to bottom... why? when you can just Rt Clk on the APP @ the Switcher Bar & hit Close.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-03-11 at 07:31.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I misread at first and thought the author had stated Microsoft had done nothing to address the hierarchical mess the start screen had become, so then I had to stop and think...does he mean that because there are links (that can also be menu-ized) in the start menu pointing at different levels? Computer and My Documents for example? If so, well, I guess that's one way of looking at it, thank goodness the Start screen removes those god-awful references to any folder structure eh?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    No bother @ all. The OS is fine w/out the old style start button/menu. Actually gets tiring hearing rhetoric over this topic...I know folks will get mad @ this but, if you crave unnecessarily adding 3rd Party start things to the OS, than you are missing something about how Win8 can be used.
    It sure is comforting to know that there is someone out there who knows better than I do what I need.

Win8.1 can be navigated faster, easier & w/ greater simplicity than Windows systems before it & that's w/out & before adding any of those things. And I am not arguing or giving an opinion... it's just a simple truth & fact.
    It wasn't that way for me; but what do I know?

The interesting thing here is every single client or person I have set up w/ Windows 8.1 loves it & has none of complaints or cravings for this 3rd Party stuff to revert back to dressing Win8.1 up as some previous OS and none have wish for the old stuff back. I wonder if this is because of how the OS was presented to them.
    Guys, I think we need to start a support group for those of us who "crave" this 3rd Party stuff. We obviously have a problem.