Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question about Macrium

I'm currently using Acronis True Image to create disk images, but I find it to be very slow (about an hour and a half to image a 100GB disk).

I'm considering using Macrium Free, and I have a question.

When I use Acronis, I use the program via a boot disk (i.e., I have never installed the program on my computer, and I never run it from a Windows environment). I boot directly into True Image and make my backups/images from there.

I would like to use Macrium in the same way, but I can't find out from the online information whether I can create a boot disk (to boot directly into Macrium) without installing the program on my computer.

Can you answer this question for me?

Thanks

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think so unless you could find and trust a source that already has made one and is available as an ISO from somewhere. Alternatively you could virtualize a session, install and burn the disc and then reboot but that would necessitate installing virtualization software if it isn't already...if the goal is not to install anything.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That's the impression I got from reading the info on the Macrium site. Guess I'll keep looking for a faster imaging program.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    1.5 hours is not necessarily a slow time depending on how much data is on the 100 gigs. If I'm making an image over a local gigabit network or to USB 2.0, the average seems always to be somewhat close to about 1 gig per minute. Local drive to drive maybe cuts that by a third and USB 3 or eSATA by half or so. I use EaseUS ToDo now, Acronis in the past and never noted anything remarkable about speed of making a backup image.

Thanks
    Les,

You can easily install Macrium Reflect make the boot media then just uninstall the program.
    Why are you worried about installing the program? HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    1 or 2 hours once a month is a small price to pay for a reliable backup, especially as you can fire it up, have dinner, watch a bit of TV and come back when it's finished.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired Geek,
    I understand what you're saying. Let's just say that I don't like to use my computers to "try" anything that I haven't done my homework on. Call it paranoia, but I've been stung in the past by installing legitimate programs that put their tendrils everywhere, and are really a PIA to remove. Why do you think so many companies offer "removal" tools for their software? Could it be because you can't possibly find all the bits and pieces if you try to remove it yourself?

Paul, you're right, of course, and that's just what I've been doing. But so many people on this forum have said how quick and easy it is for them to create image backups, and all I can say is that my empirical evidence trumps anything that they've got. There is nothing quick about using Acronis, and a newby (which I'm not) would never say it's easy.
    So I am looking for those programs that are at least quick. And I think that most of you would agree that running that program outside of the operating environment is the cleanest, safest way to do it. That, coupled with my reply to Retired Geek, is what's behind this thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Retired Geek,
    I understand what you're saying. Let's just say that I don't like to use my computers to "try" anything that I haven't done my homework on. Call it paranoia, but I've been stung in the past by installing legitimate programs that put their tendrils everywhere, and are really a PIA to remove. Why do you think so many companies offer "removal" tools for their software? Could it be because you can't possibly find all the bits and pieces if you try to remove it yourself?
    I have a solution for that problem called Revo Uninstaller (Free & Pro). I've used both extensively with nary a problem. HTH

Note: You'll need the Pro version if you are using 64 Bit Windows to remove 64 bit programs. The Free version will still remove 32 Bit programs running on 64 Bit Windows.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Les, my TI image takes about 20 minutes to run from within Windows, even quicker to update, and I don't have to stop what I'm doing. I use an internal hard disk for the image destination.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    I think the time is basically dependent on your hardware. Backup will be faster with 3.0 USB drives or e-sata drives. My desktop with 300 GB used takes about an hour to backup using my e-sata external drive, which I think is very good. It will take a bit more than the double amount of time if I use a regular USB 2.0 drive. I just backup when I know I will be away from the computer for a while.

I wouldn't trade a reliable backup software for something else (which I won't dispute that it can be just as reliable), for some small improvement in performance. That said, it is clear that you can use Macrium in the way you described.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    LesF:
    I'm curious, since you seem to be rebutting the suggestions offered here. If you don't want to install anything else, how are you going to find this faster imaging program and test how fast it is on your system? (And, also, whether you can do a restore using it)?

For the record, I use the paid version of Macrium and am extremely happy with it.
    I'm probably more anal than most, and take an image daily of my OS partition, and of my data partition.
    While those are running, I eat breakfast.

Most importantly, my Macrium images have saved me multiple times when my "playing around" with my system has necessitated a restoration of my system.

Elsewhere on this blog I've detailed where an Acronis image couldn't be used to recover my particular system; and that's why I switched to Macrium Reflect - which worked for me right out of the box.

I wish you well on your particular quest.

Please let us know what you discover.

Best,
    Dick

Thanks
    Paul, you're right, of course, and that's just what I've been doing. But so many people on this forum have said how quick and easy it is for them to create image backups, and all I can say is that my empirical evidence trumps anything that they've got.
    Yes, many of us can and do create & restore backups in 20 minutes or less, but that is entirely because we endeavor to
    separate our personal data from the operating system. If you are imaging 100Gbs worth of data it IS going to take a considerable
    amount of time and NO program is going to fix that.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, it should be a mandatory obligation to state how many gigs of data are involved as well as destination data bus speed being quite helpful.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya, it should be a mandatory obligation to state how many gigs of data are involved as well as destination data bus speed being quite helpful.
    Of course. You can't estimate backup time unless you know the amount of data and the the data bus speed. Pretending otherwise can give readers the wrong impression.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Image backup and restore times will just about always be shorter than the time it takes to reinstall the OS and programs. Plus, all of your data is also restored and it is in the right places.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nate01pa For This Useful Post:

brino (2014-03-13)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast