Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 365: Managing five licenses per user

I'm helping a small office that is considering upgrading from Office 2007 to Office 365 Midsize Business.

One of the main attractions for them is the fact that for each user licence (US$180/year) they are licensed to install the latest Desktop versions on up to 5 devices. So if the company pays for a licence for an office desktop PC the user is entitled to install the same apps on his work laptop, home laptop, home Macbook, etc.

My question is what happens if someone leaves the company. Obviously they can then reassign the licence on the Work PC to a new user/Email account. But I don't know what happens to the copies that the ex-employee has also installed on his home machines.

Anyone reading this have experience of using Office 365 care to comment or able to point me to some relevant documentation?

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Office 2013, each installation requires you to be signed in on that PC with a valid Microsoft account. In your case, you'd probably need to be signed in with the account the 365 software was purchased for. So when that employee leaves the company, you can disable/reassign 365 from their Microsoft account and all installations they are signed in on would stop working.

Background: I don't have 365, but I have a couple dozen installations of 2013 Home and Business, so I am familiar with how 2013 is installed and licensed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    With a business account, there will be an administrator. The administrator is able to add and remove users and licenses at will, so the situation you described will be easy to solve.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

I've done some more research and I'm aware of the Admin panel that is used to control the licences and who they are assigned to. But I still cant find an answer to the original question - If someone leaves the company and their account is deleted what happens to any office products they have installed on their home machines? Are they unable to open them, presented with warnings/nag screens or something else?

Something else I've learned: Office 365 lacks a real backup system - if you delete a users account all their emails and documents are deleted too unless they were on a shared sharepoint folder somewhere. This is obviously unacceptable for a business that needs to keep records.

The accepted work around when someone leaves, or you want to re-assign the license goes like this:
    - change their password to lock them out of email etc
    - use outlook to access email account on another PC and use IMAP to get a copy of all their email downloaded
    - backup and verify the PST/OST file containing the email
    - delete the IMAP account in outlook
    - go back to the admin panel to delete the account and all its data
    - create a new account and assign the license

You'd think that Microsoft's premier business office suite would offer something better -Maybe "would you like to back up this account in a read-only archive before you delete it?"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 1,069 Posts
    The licenses will become invalid so Office will probably go into a read only mode, for those users.

Users need not be deleted. You can remove their rights to access anything, in terms of online access. I can't be sure about what happens with email access through Outlook, though.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    For the original user the Office software changes to read only mode. They can still access any Office files on their PC. For any Office files on Office 365 there is a 30 day grace period to recover Office files & email. See this TechNet article, User Account Management, for more details.

Joe