New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 XP Mode -- Same Vulnerabilities?

With the end of Microsoft support for Windows XP, I assume that using XP Mode in Windows 7 would be just as vulnerable to XP attacks as a computer running only XP.

In other words, accessing the Internet using XP applications from the virtual XP drive would NOT benefit from the stronger, up-to-date security features of Windows 7.

Am I correct in that assumption?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Correct. XP is XP.

Joe

Thanks
    Any vulnerabilities should be limited to the XP virtual machine but there are no guarantees.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Any vulnerabilities should be limited to the XP virtual machine but there are no guarantees.

Jerry
    The 'should' exception being if the VM is set up to share resources. For instance I set all the local drives up as shared folders so something like Cryptolocker would toast me good.

The exception to XP is XP in this case is that it's a VM so if it gets infected by chance, simply delete the VM and copy in a fresh one from wherever one hopefully made a backup.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    The 'should' exception being if the VM is set up to share resources. For instance I set all the local drives up as shared folders so something like Cryptolocker would toast me good.

The exception to XP is XP in this case is that it's a VM so if it gets infected by chance, simply delete the VM and copy in a fresh one from wherever one hopefully made a backup.
    Deleting the VM speaks to recovering from an infection. That is the same as restoring a system from an image if there is an infection. It does not speak to the basic question about XP being vulnerable. XP in a VM is just as vulnerable as XP not in a VM.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My thanks to all who responded so quickly!