New Lounger
    Thanks

Canít switch from a Local account to a Microsoft account in Windows 8.1

This is my first post to the Lounge.

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro after updating from Windows 8. During the update I chose to have a Local account as I thought the Microsoft account would be over intrusive. I'm quite happy with Windows 8.1, I use the desktop most of the time using Stardockís Start 8 menu. However, I do occasionally like to use some of the Windows 8 apps so I treat the Modern interface as an optional extra, using Stardock's Modern Mix to run windowed apps. Unfortunately, many (but not all) of the apps I 'inherited' from Windows 8 no longer work and I cannot download replacements or new ones from the Store without a Microsoft account.

I have a Microsoft Windows live ID and thought it would be easy to switch to a Microsoft account In Windows 8.1. Not so! The switching process accepts my Live ID details but fails every time, after the verification code sent by Microsoft (a new one for each attempt) is keyed in. There's no error message, just no response at all.

I wonder if anyone has an insight into the problem? I have to admit that I can live happily without switching to a Microsoft account or using the Modern interface. Googling the problem brings up lots of advice on how to switch back from a Local account! However, it is irksome not to have the option.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Are you following the steps as outlined at How to Switch from a Local Account to a Microsoft Account in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1?

Have you checked the Event Logs for any errors?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

colmcam (2014-03-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I’m following the steps as outlined. Oddly, the 'Next' click boxes don’t appear and I have to hit 'Enter' to proceed. However, the procedure still stalls after the verification code is keyed in.

I've looked at the Event Viewer but I really don’t know what to look for! Sorry. There do seem to be a lot of red errors though.

Malcolm

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try running the Microsoft Accounts Troubleshooter.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

colmcam (2014-03-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe

I ran the Troubleshooter, it's message was: "No rootcauses found and created logs". I tried the switching procedure again but it stalled as usual after I entered the new verification code.

Malcolm

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The verification code is not a required part of the procedure. Try "Skip this for now" on the security code screen at Step 11.

Bruce

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

colmcam (2014-03-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce

Thanks for your response.

The procedure screens for switching to from a Local to a Microsoft account on my PC are slightly different to that shown on the Windows 8 Forum. Presumably because I have Windows 8.1? The screen that corresponds to step 11 doesnt have "skip this for now" but "I can't do this at this time" instead. Clicking this just stalls the procedure in exactly the same way as entering the verification code. There are no 'Next' boxes on the screens as shown on the Windows 8 forum either, I have to hit 'Enter' at each stage to proceed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe and Bruce.

Looks like I'll have to accept that having opted for a Local account on downloading and installing Windows 8.1 I can't now switch to a Microsoft account. However, I don't think I'm losing much except being able to get new Modern UI apps which I'm not particularly concerned about. Otherwise, Windows 8.1 performs perfectly well for me, via the Desktop and my Windows Live ID is valid, so I can access Skype and OneDrive etc. via Firefox. Still seems a bit strange though!

Malcolm

Administrator
    Thanks
    Perhaps you should contact Microsoft. You get free help for problems with updates.

Joe