New Lounger
    Thanks

Seagate External Drive Issue

I recently had to do a complete reinstall of Windows 7 on my personal laptop. Prior to the rebuild, I had used an external hard drive from Seagate to backup my personal files. When I connected the external drive via USB to my newly rebuilt laptop, Windows 7 advised that it recognized the drive and loaded the appropriate driver software.

However, when I opened Windows Explorer, and expanded My Computer, it only showed my local hard drive and the CD/DVD drive. When I opened Devices and Printers from the Start menu, it showed that the Seagate external drive was installed. I tried to connect it to my wife's laptop and experienced the same results. I also tried using a different USB cable to the external drive with no luck.

I next went to the Seagate web site and found a troubleshooting wizard that I followed. It even went so far as to have me open Device Manager (where I could see the external drive) and use Device Manager to ensure that Windows was communicating to the drive. All troubleshooting wizard steps were completed successfully, but I still cannot actually use the drive or its contents through Windows.

Is my external drive done for? Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Many people have posted that they have booted their computer with Linux, and that they have then successfully mounted the drive that wouldn't mount in Windows. They were then able to copy the files to the internal hard drive.

When I get some time, I have a few drives that I need to try that with.

Another alternative, which you might not want to do, is to open the case of your external hard drive, and remove the hard drive inside, and then mount that drive as an internal drive in your computer. That sometimes works, but not always. But it will likely void the warranty on your external hard drive.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2014-03-07)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi cjdahl60 - What does the Seagate external drive look like in Disk Management?

(In Win 7, click Start then, in the Search programs and files dialog, type diskmgmt.msc then press the Enter key.)

- Does the Seagate external drive show up?
    - What's its status (shown in the Status column)?
    - In particular, does its Status show it as Healthy?
    - Does it have a drive letter?
    - What File System is it using (FAT32, NTFS, etc.)
    - What happens if you right-click on it and choose Open or Explore?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2014-03-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, cjdahl60.

I have two Seagate Flex drives and they both show up as expected. This does not help you. You can go to your HD in a Windows ( GUI ) way : Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management, voilà ! Get to this window and see if you can Open the HD there. Get back to us. Jean.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to handcuff36 For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2014-03-07)

Thanks
    Typically, drivers located on an external drive should be installed manually, and not by allowing Windows to look for them automatically.
    I'm also a bit concerned by your wording; external drives do not typically get installed, they are plug and play and are therefore "recognized".

One of the simpler things that should be tried; the drive should be disconnected and powered off completely for a few minutes.
    Reboot your system and then try connecting the drive again.

You might also try killing the explorer.exe process from taskmanager, then re-enabling it.

You could also try getting the drive recognized in Windows via safemode, if this works, it might tend to
    suggest that some Windows process has taken some degree of control of the drive rendering it usable from a read-mode perspective,
    more exclusively than a write/viewable mode. (I might be reaching with this one too)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2014-03-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. I received email notification of the first reply, but not to the ensuing replies, so I'm late in reading these. Give me a day or so to run through these suggestions and I'll post my results.

Again, thanks everyone.

Thanks
    I wonder if Windows might have scrambled the DUID for this drive:

http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...iple-drives-2/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cjdahl60 View Post
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. I received email notification of the first reply, but not to the ensuing replies, so I'm late in reading these. Give me a day or so to run through these suggestions and I'll post my results.

Again, thanks everyone.
    Here's a couple of screen captures of what I see with the external drive connected via USB and with Device Manager and Disk MgrDevices.PNGdiskmgmt screenshot.PNG

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    cjdahl60,

The Disk Management screenshot shows your Seagate external drive with no drive letter or file system.

I'm aware that Seagate issued a firmware fix for certain Barracuda 500Gb models which had the same or similar symptoms, i.e. data becoming inaccessible after a power-off/on operation.

Have a look at this Seagate page for more info and for their USBDriveList software which should identify the model/serial no. of the hard disk inside your external enclosure without you having to dismantle it.

On the same page you will be able to use the serial number check utility to check whether there is a firmware fix available for download for your particular drive using Seagate's Download Finder:
    Download Finder.jpg
    Click to enlarge

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2014-03-08)

Thanks
    In disk management, you should be able to right click on drive 1 and assign a disk letter to it and allow you to see the drive in Windows Explorer.

Jerry

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cjdahl60 (2014-03-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick: The first two links provided come up as page not found in my browser. I was able to use the Seagate Download Finder link and the result showed that there were no new firmware updates available for my drive. I downloaded the Seagate Tools for Windows utility found on the same page and ran the available diagnostic tests, all of which were passed successfully.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    jwitalka: When I right click on the drive in disk management, all options are grayed out except "delete volume" and "help." I'm not sure if I should delete the volume and then try to have Windows recognize it as a new device again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All:

Problem is now resolved. I deleted the volume using disk management. When I plugged the external back into the USB, Windows recognized it and allowed me to name it, assign a drive letter and format it for initial use. I had once plugged this drive in a Linux computer and it appears that this did something to the formatting or contents that Windows didn't like.

I was using this drive as a redundant backup to a primary backup, so even though I had to reformat the drive all is well. Thanks again to everyone for your advice and direction.

Thanks
    Glad to hear you have it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Jerry