Thanks

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Everybody wants to lock in customers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I just stick with my $10 Mr. Coffee, coffee maker. I have more than one cup of coffee in the morning....lol.

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

I don't know about you but if they do this they will go the way of the HP printers in my house....GONE! I don't drink coffee anyway and the wife will just have to go back to the Mr. Coffee or one of the knockoffs. It's the same reason I don't use an iPhone (disclaimer I do have a iPod because it works with my car radio, but I don't buy any music from the iStore it is all ripped from my ancient collection of CDs).
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    We have owned a Keurig for a few years now and do order our k-cups online from Green Mountain. I realize they are making their money from the k-cups and not the machine. But when our first machine failed a year ago and it was out of warranty, Keurig wanted to charge us a slightly reduced price for a replacement machine. I thanked them and hung up and called Green Mountain... come to find out, since we were on their auto-delivery program, they warranty the machines for LIFE! So they sent me a new machine, no questions asked.

We don't order a ton every quarter but we do keep a standing order and because of that, Green Mountain will stand behind the machine for as long as we own it. Now are they going to shoot themselves in the foot by going the DRM route? Time will tell I guess. But I love our Keurig and will keep it.

Pam

Thanks
    I'm old-school. I just have a basic coffee maker. It doesn't even have a timer on it!

I will not have a coffee maker with any sort of computer chip in it. I need to have something in my life which isn't "digital".

Thanks
    Someone is already working on a hack to bypass it too.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The fastest way to go bankrupt I know is to cut off your customers with silly actions like this.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    The fastest way to go bankrupt I know is to cut off your customers with silly actions like this.
    This reminds me somewhat of IBM back in the day. They had created the IBM-compatible standard with their XT and AT computers. And now that everyone was on that standard, they changed to Microchannel, to try to force everyone to pay royalties to them! That, more than anything, put IBM out of the PC business, and moved Compaq to the top of the heap.

The final insult was when Microsoft began referring to this standard as OEM-compatible, rather than IBM-compatible.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousclive View Post
    cant wait for the printer makers to stop their nonsense to lock you into their overpriced ink

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    Someone is already working on a hack to bypass it too.
    The would most likely violate DMCA and get the company sued.

Joe

Thanks
    I read an explanation today as to why they were making this change, or at least their reasoning behind it. The new machines will be capable of making a single serving or a carafe of coffee based on which kind of k-cup is put in the machine. The machine will need to "read" the k-cup in order to know which you are wanting to make, single cup or a carafe. Like I said, this is their "reasoning" for the change and who knows the full reason why.

Pam

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The would most likely violate DMCA and get the company sued.

Joe
    For some rules and laws are more of a challenge than a deterrent.
    If that were not the case we would never have needed more than the original 10 laws.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PamS View Post
    I read an explanation today as to why they were making this change, or at least their reasoning behind it. The new machines will be capable of making a single serving or a carafe of coffee based on which kind of k-cup is put in the machine. The machine will need to "read" the k-cup in order to know which you are wanting to make, single cup or a carafe. Like I said, this is their "reasoning" for the change and who knows the full reason why.

Pam
    I guess we all do - customer lock in.

I have a Nespresso machine that was a gift, but I never buy the Nespresso capsules. Not only are they a lot more expensive than replacements but, more important, I really don't like the bland coffee they sell. Nestlé doesn't make any money out of that coffee machine, so I can understand these lock in strategies.
    Rui
    -------
    R4