New Lounger
    Thanks

End of support for Outlook 2003

A friend has used Outlook 2003 SP3 on Win 7 to manage email for 10 years and likes it just fine. She uses MS Security Essentials and while she follows links to video sites sent by friends in an email, tends to avoid high risk peer-to-peer Web sites and the like. She would like to know if she needs to upgrade her copy of MS Office 2003 to a newer version after April 8 when the support ends or stay with what she knows. She has never contacted MS for technical support. Thanks, Paul

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Office 2003 will continue to function. It will just not receive any more security updates. Only she can decide whether it is worth it to upgrade although I personally would recommend it. If she decides to upgrade I would suggest Office 2013 be the version to select. Be aware that the UI is considerably different than Office 2003. It will take some adjustment. Another decision to make with Office 2013 is whether to subscribe to Office 365 Home Premium or to purchase an Office 2013 SKU. See Welcome to the new Office for a starting point on the choices which are available.

Joe

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Bravejoe (2014-03-13),pbferry (2014-03-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I also use Office 2003, although only Word, Excel, & PP are installed. Checking MS update history for Office 2003, I see only one update so far this year(Jan), and only 10 updates since late 2011. While this doesn't mean there is no security risk after April 8, I'm not nearly as concerned about it as if I were using Windows XP.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rje49 For This Useful Post:

pbferry (2014-03-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pbferry View Post
    A friend has used Outlook 2003 SP3 on Win 7 to manage email for 10 years and likes it just fine. She uses MS Security Essentials and while she follows links to video sites sent by friends in an email, tends to avoid high risk peer-to-peer Web sites and the like. She would like to know if she needs to upgrade her copy of MS Office 2003 to a newer version after April 8 when the support ends or stay with what she knows. She has never contacted MS for technical support. Thanks, Paul
    I completely agree. I will turn off email in HTML by default; i think it will be safe. If you read and compose only in text, it should not be in problem. The only thing is if you need/want to read/write in HTML then you can be exposed. If you read the HTML source of your email and check there is no funny sites in your email.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to slam5 For This Useful Post:

pbferry (2014-03-13)