4 Star Lounger
    Anaheim, California, USA

Getting back Windows 7 Games

OK, when I bought my new laptop, I opted to go for Windows 8.1, even knowing it was a little sketchy. I didn't want to buy a new computer with a 4 year old operating system. I tried to use the new Metro, or whatever they call it this week, interface but I felt like I was playing that old game where you slide the tiles around to get the numbers or letters in order. I didn't like the fact that everything ran full screen, or half screen, just didn't work very well.

I switched to Classic Shell, I posted about this earlier, and was much happier. I still had to go over to the other interface when I wanted to, yes, I have to admit this, play Solitaire or FreeCell. Since they don't come with Windows anymore, they have to be downloaded from the Store. I didn't like these versions, they took a while to load, there were 2 splash screens, then I had to wait for the automatic sign in to XBox games, which I had never signed up for, then I could play a game. A lot of times, I will sneak in a game when I am uploading or downloading something, just something to fill the time for a few minutes, but I couldn't see how the background activity was goiing. All in all just unsatisfying.

I did a Google search and found I could get the old Windows 7 games back by copying them from my old laptop. Here is the link:
    The only thing that is a little scary is downloading the patch program, you get all kinds of warnings, they tell you about that in the story, but it all seemed fine.

Now I can play a quick game and still see if I got an e-mail or other activities are going on in the background. The games don't look as good but in my opinion, they do play better. Just wanted to share.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to donebb For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-03-06)

I managed to find an inferior version of Freecell which works on Windows 8. I will soon get back to the Windows 7 games. Thanks for the tip.