Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

I've lost IE (64) after installing IE10 over IE9.

I stupidly didn't use the 'upgrade' feature, just downloaded IE10 (64) directly from Microsoft, and installed it and now I've lost IE (64), altogether.

I did this a couple of weeks ago and have installed and un-installed other progs. since then, so I can't roll back to the Restore Point I took before installing it - I know how stupid this sounds - so am stuck as to what to do.

I saved my bookmarks, at least, and still have IE9 (32), even though it isn't any use as it freezes every time it is opened.

I'd be really grateful for some help.

Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    The official Microsoft installer for 64-bit IE contains both 32-bit IE & 64-bit IE and will upgrade both versions. You can't have different versions of IE installed at the same time. Did you download from Download Internet Explorer 10?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, you're correct. I've just checked IE 32-bit and it's IE10. My mistake. I installed it from the MS page you link to - I chose English Win7 SP1 64-bit and followed the instructions.

The problem is still the same though: the IE 64-bit Start menu icon has changed to the generic 'piece of paper' and gives
    2014-03-07_014405.jpg
    when selected. I received the same warning or something similar when I clicked the pinned IE 64 icon, which I've now removed.
    Last edited by BetterOffOut; 2014-03-06 at 22:13.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You can use IE 10 in 64 bit mode by going Tools - Internet options and under the Advanced tab, scroll down to Security and check the box for Enable Enhanced Protected Mode which will require a reboot to effect.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the delay in replying.

If nothing else works, I'll certainly give the Enable Enhanced protection Mode a go, but I'd like to firstly try to resolve the original problem. IE 9 64 worked - albeit not very well owing to it being old - until I upgraded to IE 10 64, from the Microsoft site. I've rebooted numerous times since then, to no avail - none of the IE 64 icons in the start menu or the task bar work any more.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterOffOut View Post
    Sorry for the delay in replying.

If nothing else works, I'll certainly give the Enable Enhanced protection Mode a go, but I'd like to firstly try to resolve the original problem. IE 9 64 worked - albeit not very well owing to it being old - until I upgraded to IE 10 64, from the Microsoft site. I've rebooted numerous times since then, to no avail - none of the IE 64 icons in the start menu or the task bar work any more.
    Have you tried to go to c:\Program Files (and Program Files (x86) and run the IE executable (iexplore.exe) directly? That is the only way to determine whether IE works or not. It does seem like the shortcuts not longer point to the correct executables, though, and if that is the case, you may need to add new shortcuts or change the existing ones.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    With IE 10 you only ever have one IE icon as you either run it in its base 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode when you Enable Enhanced Protected Mode.

You can't have both versions enabled at the same time and it will only ever display as Internet Explorer, regardless of the mode that is being used.

The 64 bit icon that you had when using IE 9 64 bit is for a completely different version of IE which you no longer have and that is why it no longer works or has disappeared.

When I upgraded to IE 10, IE 64 bit icon vanished from the system tray and that option from All Programs, so I'm not sure how you still have one.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-10 at 19:32.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    With IE 10 you only ever have one IE icon as you either run it in its base 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode when you Enable Enhanced Protected Mode.

You can't have both versions enabled at the same time and it will only ever display as Internet Explorer, regardless of the mode that is being used.

The 64 bit icon that you had when using IE 9 64 bit is for a completely different version of IE which you no longer have and that is why it no longer works or has disappeared.

When I upgraded to IE 10, IE 64 bit icon vanished from the system tray and that option from All Programs, so I'm not sure how you still have one.
    I'm sorry, but I have IE 10 on Windows 7 running both in 32 bit and 64 bit versions:

CaptureIE1.JPG

I also have both in the Start menu:

CaptureIE2.JPG
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know how you've managed that because I only have one item listed in All Programs and the loss of the 64 bit additional mode was the first thing that I noticed.

Until I learned about the Enhanced Protected Mode, I thought it only came in the 32 bit variety.

Edit

Are you sure that you are running IE 10 http://www.ngohq.com/news/23295-how-...ndows-7-a.html

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...8-958254a357e0
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-10 at 20:22.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Pretty sure:

CaptureIE3.JPG

I have always run IE in Enhanced Protected Mode, since it became available. As far as I can tell, having both IE versions available has always been the way it worked in my Windows 7 x64 setup.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just tried running iexplore.exe from both C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) and both open the 32-bit IE10.

I have always had both versions in the Start menu:
    2014-03-11_021317.jpg

2014-03-11_021548.jpg

If I've messed-up, I don't want to compound the problem with any more changes, though the 32-bit version of IE10 seems worse than both versions of IE9.

Are both versions really still possible, side by side, or, as Sudo15's links suggest, are we limited to 64-bit?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Pretty sure:

CaptureIE3.JPG

I have always run IE in Enhanced Protected Mode, since it became available. As far as I can tell, having both IE versions available has always been the way it worked in my Windows 7 x64 setup.
    Well, that's certainly IE 10 - but strange...

Just as a tip Rui, to stop the Windows update for IE 11 keep appearing, uncheck the Install new versions automatically box.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just checked my version number which is different to yours Rui, probably because I have the UK version and yours is Portuguese.

However, the KB2909921 Version 10.0.9200.167981C remains the same, regardless of running IE in 32 or 64 bit mode.

Would have included a snip, but it was taking forever to upload the image so closed the window.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-11 at 03:45.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've just checked my version number which is different to yours Rui, probably because I have the UK version and yours is Portuguese.

However, the KB2909921 Version 10.0.9200.167981C remains the same, regardless of running IE in 32 or 64 bit mode.

Would have included a snip, but it was taking forever to upload the image so closed the window.
    I haven't updated my desktop in a while, tbh, so there may be a few IE updates to add - this is my dev machine, and it has existed in a state where my Visual Studio is open all the time and I haven't had the desire to shut it down just because of Windows updates.

Regarding IE 10 updating, I have hidden the IE 11 update and will do so for the time being.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Apologies for re-starting this discussion, but I've only just been able to try the EPM, as this is my father's laptop.

Unfortunately, it hasn't made much difference, even after re-booting.

A couple of sites where I've noticed things aren't right are news.sky.com and brandalley.co.uk

Sky News:
    2014-03-22_205256_640.jpg
    The border graphics are missing.

Brandalley.co.uk:
    2014-03-24_043412_640.jpg
    the background darkens to black, as you reach the bottom of the page, but doesn't in IE10

I'd be really grateful if someone could visit these sites in IE10, to see if this is just a strange problem for this laptop.

The Task Manager shows two instances of iexplore.exe, but no mention of *32
    2014-03-23_034421.jpg

The Start Menu listings are the same as above.

The version installed:
    2014-03-24_201454.jpg I've just installed the latest cumulative security update for IE10.

Is the only option a reinstall of IE10? I wondered if I should try IE11 (though I haven't looked into it) or whether I'm missing some updates, if my drivers aren't up to date.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast