Thanks

Question about solid state HDs & XP SP3

Hi all,
    It seems pushy and good business for Microsoft to have us all upgrade our OSs from XP upward. I loathe that as a business tactic and am going to have a good go at using my OS for as long as I can, at least until I die (I'm 72).

My XP does everything wonderfully well and I thought I'd explore the possibility of using SSDs to make loading the OS a bit faster.

I'd value your input on how I can make SSDs happen on my machine. I feel there are probably folks here who have gone into SSDs/XP beyond just a bland "No, you can't do it!"

What's the gain, pitfalls, pain I'm likely to encounter? I don't know enough to ask more specific questions.

Thanks and appreciation for your help.

John
    Half frog, half man, but which half?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    No support for TRIM on XP which you can read about here. I think the so called garbage collection routines mentioned work well enough without TRIM if the SSD just gets a usage "breather" now and then. You would also probably want to pay attention to drive alignment which can be accomplished using a partitioning tool like GParted. Lifehacker article covers the particulars and has links to even more info on the subject.
    Also get a big enough SSD so that there's always plenty of free space on the drive (20-25%).
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-03-08 at 02:41.

Thanks
    From: http://www.mysolutions.it/tips-migra...indows-xp-ssd/

TRIM

Windows XP does not natively support TRIMming SSDs (informing a solid-state drive which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally). If you have an Intel or OCZ SSD, these companies provide TRIM utilities; if you have one from another company such as SanDisk, you’ll need to download a generic version of TRIM. TRIM should be run once a month or so to optimize SSD performance; you can use the Task Scheduler to automate this.
    You might want to read the whole page to get additional tips on using an SSD ON XP.

Jerry

Thanks
    Going back a year or more ago, the then-current Intel's and Crucial M4 SSD's were said to have very good GC (garbage collection routines), so good that, for many users, lack of TRIM would not be an issue.

My old M4 has, for 6 months or so, seen daily (4-7 hours per day?) in a low spec. XP machine and it still feels very fast whenever I get to use it.

I think that, providing you keep ~25% SSD space permanently free, a modern, quality SSD is likely to work well for several years or more on XP, with or without TRIM. Even if it does start 'bogging down', I think a secure erase, followed by a reinstall and restore from backup, will bring it back to almost 'as new' condition.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I've been using XP on SSDs for 2 or 3 years or maybe more now and I notice differences in performance from system to system (often in start up) and don't know what that's all about exactly but I can never determine any intra-system changes; maybe they are not performing optimally (I don't benchmark them) but they're still far faster than a magnetic drive so it's worthwhile to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nzo View Post
    Hi all,
    It seems pushy and good business for Microsoft to have us all upgrade our OSs from XP upward. I loathe that as a business tactic and am going to have a good go at using my OS for as long as I can, at least until I die (I'm 72).

My XP does everything wonderfully well and I thought I'd explore the possibility of using SSDs to make loading the OS a bit faster.

I'd value your input on how I can make SSDs happen on my machine. I feel there are probably folks here who have gone into SSDs/XP beyond just a bland "No, you can't do it!"

What's the gain, pitfalls, pain I'm likely to encounter? I don't know enough to ask more specific questions.

Thanks and appreciation for your help.

John
    John:

Here are a few steps which can speed up your computer.

Make sure that there is enough RAM in your computer. Bringing it up to 2 GB can improve things if you currently have less than that, especially if you currently have 500 MB or less.

Also, defrag your mechanical hard drive from time to time (maybe once every two months). If the drive is badly fragmented, then defragging it will make a big difference.

And make sure that you have good anti-virus software installed and running, with daily (or nightly) updates and scans.

Jim
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-03-12 at 14:20.

Thanks
    Thank you all for your useful replies. Good stuff.
    Half frog, half man, but which half?