Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrdick View Post
    A somewhat different problem than the "svchost.exe": This started last November, but the process locking up the system is "system" at 98% on the Task Manager. Dell Dimension 4100 with 512 RAM (maxed out) running XP-Pro SP3. Automatic Updates turned off-on-off. Most .tmp and ~*.* files deleted. C drive is FAT32, using 92 GB of 127 GB. System will boot into Safe Mode and then uses only 1% of CPU. Malwarebytes finds nothing. How do we track down and kill whatever is doing this to this fine old relic? John
    First, using msconfig, choose "Diagnostic Startup" and reboot.

This will disable virtually all services except those required to start Windows.

If you don't get 100% CPU then you can start reenabling services in groups, until you narrow down the culprit.

If you still get 100% CPU, yet you don't get it in Safe mode, then I strongly suspect a driver issue. Probably something you installed or updated recently.

The difference between Safe mode and this Diagnostic mode is that Safe mode disables most drivers, while Diagnostic mode disables most services.

Download and run this Nir Sofer ServiWin utility: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/serviwin.html. Like the ShellExView utility previously suggested, this requires no install, and saves nothing to the registry. Like most of Nir's utiliities, it is stand-alone.

Note in the upper left corner two gear icons, one for services and the other for drivers. This is a powerful utility, giving you the ability to stop drivers and services, and change their startup type. You can sort them by startup type, status, company, product name, etc.

Selectively change driver startup type and reboot, until you find the culprit.

Since this shows all installed drivers, including those already not started, you'll want to keep careful notes of what you stop so you can restore things to the way they were.

- John G.
    Last edited by John G; 2014-03-16 at 19:38.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John G For This Useful Post:

johnrdick (2014-03-25),XPDiHard (2014-03-17)

Lounger
    Thanks
    John G,

This was one of my toughest ever, but ServiWin worked. I had tried to uninstall Symantec last fall because it would no longer update, but apparently unsuccessfully. Starting with the drivers utillity, I changed ten Symantec drivers to "Manual." The system booted much faster, but after five minutes went to 100% CPU. I went back and "Disabled" all ten drivers, and the CPU usage went high while things loaded, but then dropped down to ~25%. I then went to the services utility and disabled all seven Symantec services. The system boots much faster still, and settles down to 1% CPU. This 13-year old system is usable again! The Symantec icon is still present on the task bar, and the disabled warning comes up after 5 minutes, but the program is behaving itself; must be called from the registry? I am impressed and thankful.

John

New Lounger
    Thanks

ServiWin and Autoruns

John G,

This was one of my toughest ever, but ServiWin worked. ... I am impressed and thankful.

John
    I'm happy it worked for you. Thanks for the feedback.

You may find Microsoft Sysinternals Autoruns: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963902, helpful in stopping Symantec from starting.

But sometimes AV programs protect themselves by removing Administrator privileges from their registry entries. So if Autoruns cannot change the startup, you may need to give yourself permission first to the respective registry entries.

- John G

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try Symantec's Norton Removal Tool to get rid of the remnants of the Symantec product (which is renowned for not un-installing properly using 'Add or Remove Programs').

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

johnrdick (2014-03-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Try Symantec's Norton Removal Tool to get rid of the remnants of the Symantec product (which is renowned for not un-installing properly using 'Add or Remove Programs').
    Rick,
    It made me do the 'Add or Remove Programs' again, but then got rid of the remaining vestiges. It now boots faster, and without the yellow icon in the tray, or the 'disabled' warning. With programs like this that tie up 99% of my cpu, it's not clear what they are protecting me from. Good riddance.
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i have had similar problems with two causes

first is scripts running wild from some web site i am at
    when i kill the site the problem goes away
    huffington post is a bad one for this but there are others
    open a few of them for future reading and yuor machine will crawl not run

the other in conflicts with security type software tripping over each other andor windoze race condition problems

A somewhat different problem than the "svchost.exe": This started last November, but the process locking up the system is "system" at 98% on the Task Manager. Dell Dimension 4100 with 512 RAM (maxed out) running XP-Pro SP3. Automatic Updates turned off-on-off. Most .tmp and ~*.* files deleted. C drive is FAT32, using 92 GB of 127 GB. System will boot into Safe Mode and then uses only 1% of CPU. Malwarebytes finds nothing. How do we track down and kill whatever is doing this to this fine old relic? John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    that is another main cause for this problem

it gets worse if you compressed a disk by mistake (or even intentionally)
    microsoft should delete that worthless compress program as it has negative value

Quote Originally Posted by dukedubuque View Post
    I've seen this a few times and it has always been the same thing, so maybe this will help. You have a "seasoned" machine with not a lot of memory and about 20G of HD space left. And probably your machine's HD space is pretty fragmented. Windows uses the HD to swap data into and out of when RAM gets full. If the HD is fragmented, as happens when machines age and aren't defragmented, your system is gonna spend a lot of time poking around the HD looking for space to swap to. The swap space is supposed to be protected and in one lump, but sometimes that doesn't work right. So, try defragging and see if things get better. If they do and the machine is sacred to you, you might try adding some RAM or popping for a bigger HD. I know it seems a bit like putting new wine in old skins, but if you like the old fella, a bit of rejuvenation might be the key.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12