Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    I found this by googling today:

Since it will be a new HDD there won't be any software on it and there is no software connected to the optical drives or the card reader so it shouldn't be a problem changing the drive letters around should it.
    MS say's this in the notes about changing drive letters:

Which is what bbearren said earlier so I am trying to figure out what "programs" means in that definition. Is it software programs that are looking for a specific drive that can be changed after reassigning drive letters?
    In other words, would it be my burner software that might not be able to find the burner anymore? If so I would assume that I would have to uninstall the software and reinstall it, is that correct?
    "Programs" means apps, utilities, or other software (Office, Photoshop, Google Earth, etc.) that was pre-installed and/or installed by you. The usual default location is C:\Program Files, but many installation routines allow one to choose a different location (or different drive) when the software is being installed. If one were to choose an alternate drive when installing a program, then later changed the drive letter, that particular program would no longer launch, because the shortcut (and the registry) would be pointing to the original drive letter.

That's why Windows gives the warning about changing drive letters. It's quite generic, as many people don't install anywhere other than the default location. But for those who might, the warning is there, just in case. All of my programs in Windows 8 are on drive H, not C. In Windows 7, they are installed on drive U. So I have to be more particular about my drive letters changing.

If your burner software is looking for drive D for your optical drive, and you change that drive letter and assign D to a HDD, your burner software is likely to not work. You could change the registry settings and the shortcut, or just leave the CD/DVD drive with the same letter its always had, and use a different letter for your HDD.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-03-10 at 22:06.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-03-10)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ahh, thanks for the explanation. Since all my programs are on C:, I should be safe then. But in the case of the burner software couldn't I just reinstall so it finds the "New" burner?
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2014-03-10 at 22:39.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    All CD/DVD/BluRay software should find all optical drives just fine without reinstalling. At most you might have to reboot. ONE caveat I just thought of, if any of the devices are shared, remove the sharing before changing drive letters and then share them again after. It won't hurt anything if you don't but the old share name is retained so you may get unpredictable results trying to connect to the shares from a different computer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-03-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    All CD/DVD/BluRay software should find all optical drives just fine without reinstalling. At most you might have to reboot. ONE caveat I just thought of, if any of the devices are shared, remove the sharing before changing drive letters and then share them again after. It won't hurt anything if you don't but the old share name is retained so you may get unpredictable results trying to connect to the shares from a different computer.
    The only thing shared is a folder so that my girlfriend and I can both have access to files & folders in it, so I assume that it wouldn't be a problem from your explanation.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While we are on this topic: It seems to me that using all of the letters except C: might thwart some spam and viruses which are searching for a C: drive or is this idea all wet?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel View Post
    While we are on this topic: It seems to me that using all of the letters except C: might thwart some spam and viruses which are searching for a C: drive or is this idea all wet?
    My guess is that it will thwart some, but not most.

Thanks
    I would be surprised if it thwarted any. Just have a decent AV app installed, be careful what you click on, and make regular image backups.

Jerry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12