New Lounger
    Thanks

Post HIB mouse in Win7 keeps being deleted because of USB3 external drive

I recently purchased an external USB3 hard drive for doing image backups. If I try to connect it to a USB port before booting, my Win7, 64 notebook will take 10 minutes to boot and while there is obviously some kind of hardware/USB conflict I also find that even when I connect it after booting, I find that it appears that my HIB compliant mouse has then been deleted. The only way I know to remedy this is to do an image restore. I have updated my bios, updated my Intel chipset firmware [which then allowed me to eject it] but the problem still occurs.I would be very appreciative if anyone knows a way I can resolve this?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Are you connecting it to a USB3 port or a USB2 port? Try connecting it to the opposite port and see if that makes a difference.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

JKWillie (2014-03-12)

Thanks
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB Controllers:

Method 3: Disable and re-enable the USB controller
    Use Device Manager to disable and re-enable all the USB controllers. This lets the controllers recover the USB port from its unresponsive condition. The USB controllers represent the USB ports in Device Manager. If you are not comfortable with advanced troubleshooting, try the steps in the "Workaround" section.

To disable and re-enable the USB controllers, follow these steps:1. Click Start, and then click Run.

Note If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, and then use the Start Search box.
    2. Type devmgmt.msc, and then click OK. Device Manager opens.
    3. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

Note You might have to scroll down the list to find this item.
    4. Right-click the first USB controller under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
    5. Repeat step 4 for each USB controller that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    6. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes and reinstall all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
    7. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

JKWillie (2014-03-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have 2 usb3 ports & 1 usb2 where I normally plug up my wireless mouse. I will try this to see if it will work but I know I have the same problem with either usb3 port [which is where I really want to connect it for image backups]. I'll reply back once I can check this.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I will try disabling & re-enabling the USB controller tomorrow. I appreciate the instructions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the usb2 port and still had problem. I then disabled & re-enabled ports using directions from jwitalka and while the excellent instructions worked the HIB mouse was still not re-installed. I did notice before the last 2 attempts that the mouse was now being deleted without connecting the external drive so I suspect my os was corrupted by other problems? I finally reimaged to a 1/1/2014 image and then spent all day updating windows and all programs. From now on I will be carefull to not attach the external drive until the system has completed booting to try and avoid the conflict and subsequent corruption. Thanks for everyones help.