Star Lounger
    Thanks

Usb in external hd enclosure?

Hello,
    I'm having a senior moment here!! I'm trying to use one of my ide hd in an external case.. That went well.Windows sees it in usb mass storage devices , it's hds72251 6vlat80 Hitachi. However, I can't open the device or even explore it.. nothing on it but an old version of ubuntu. The net tells me I might need drivers ??
    In device mgr. windows searches for updates finds none?
    I hope I'm not doing something wrong? Id like to set this drive up for system images. Just in case!!!
    The case is a sabrent ecs-stu35. Sabrent offers no tech. support other than email. You know how that goes!!
    Thanks for suggestions/help
    John in Dallas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    John,

Ubuntu uses the Ext & Ext2 file systems. You would need a driver for windows that can read those file systems as they are not included in Windows natively. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi lonestarone,

If your Hitachi Deskstar 160Gb hard disk has been used as an Ubuntu system disk then it will have a Linux file system installed that Windows doesn't recognise.

As Windows can apparently 'see' the hard disk (in its USB enclosure) as a mass storage device then you should be able to use Disk Management to re-format it so Windows can use it as a file storage device.

1. Click on the Start orb.
    2. Type diskmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files dialog.
    3. When diskmgmt.msc appears at the top of the 'found' files list, right-click on it and select the Run as administrator option from the context menu.
    4. When Disk Management opens, if you can see your external Hitachi disk then right-click on it in either the top or bottom pane and choose Format... from the context menu. If you can't see your external Hitachi disk then let the forum know.

Hope this helps...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello - All,
    Thanks guys who helped me.. All is working fine , creating my first image!! Will take the entire drive it says WOW!! I will now use my original windows xp drive for more such images if needed.

Thanks
    Excellent! Thanks for letting the forum know.