Lounger
    Thanks

I need advice on backing up with Win 8.1 64-bit

I've recently got a new PC with Win 8.1 64-bit OS and USB 3.0. I decided to get a portable external hard drive to use for backups. I wondered why none of them stated specifically that they were compatible with Win 8 and when I read the individual product reviews, I discovered that many people with the Win 8 OS who WERE having compatibility issues.

So, what I'm wondering, is HOW ARE Win 8.1 users backing up - what devices and methods are you using? (I've thought about cloud storage but I don't really have enough valuable data to warrant it - also, it seems slow.)

Thanks

Thanks
    My Seagate portable hard drive works fine with Acronis True Image in Windows 8.1.

Jerry

Thanks
    There shouldn't be any such thing as a compatibility issue with an external drive, unless you are using the drive's own software.
    A decent 3rd party imaging application and a drive with sufficient space is all you need.

Avoid drives that come bundled with "backup" software unless that is specifically what you want to use and it purports 8.1 compatibility.
    Even drives that do come with their own software can be formatted in most, if not all instances.

I'm using a few WD 1TB passport drives for image and non image based backup and having no issue with them.
    22-236-576-Z01.jpg
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-08 at 13:47.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    All the drives I use with Windows Vista and 7 work fine in Windows 8 / 8.1.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Banned Member
    Thanks
    'b99',

Myself, I use the native back-up built into the OS to what happens to be a Seagate External. It's just so easy & straight-forward (I feel) instead of necessitating going to a 3rd Party method. As stated, by others, there should be no driver or compatibility issues when using an external drive for this. I am, still, using the same external for back-up w/ 8.1 as was being used w/ 8.0 and, before that, Windows 7.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the Windows Easy Transfer to create a backup file then save to the cloud copy.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Western Digital USB drives that come with Smartware are hardware encrypted by a bridge board. I would avoid those drives. Data recovery on one of those can be a nightmare.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Acronis True Image 2014 with an external WD My Passport. Found out the hard way that you can not clone a drive with the installed program! You have to use the boot CD or DVD. Destroyed my boot record on my OS drive.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I create system images using Windows built in image creator and a Seagate usb 3.0 expansion drive. Works great.

Thanks
    I use a Seagate 3TB GoFlex Home NAS (Network Attached Storage). The NAS has its own software and options that are Linux based, but it can be readily targeted as a backup drive by Image For Windows from TeraByte Unlimited. It will work with any OS, all versions of Windows, Apple OS, Linux, etc. NAS is a good solution for backing up more than one computer (I have a desktop and two laptops). It should work with any good third party imaging product, and drive imaging is the only backup solution I (personally) recommend.

If you want to use an external HDD via USB or eSATA, I would advise against using the bundled software, and format the drive as a target for a good third party imaging product. Check the drives specs before you buy to make sure it can be formatted and used simply as an attached HDD.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    would some one explain where an how to do this on this dang win 8.1 laptop please?(Windows built in image creator) I have a WD external drive can hook up and use,read not good to keep hooked up all the time.
    Dang miss my winxpdesktop.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mosie View Post
    would some one explain where an how to do this on this dang win 8.1 laptop please?(Windows built in image creator)
    Control Panel > System and Security > File History > System Image Backup: Windows 8.1 Tip: Use System Image Backup

Bruce

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mosie View Post
    would some one explain where an how to do this on this dang win 8.1 laptop please?(Windows built in image creator) I have a WD external drive can hook up and use,read not good to keep hooked up all the time.
    Dang miss my winxpdesktop.
    Bruce, please, let me add something. Of course your instructions are correct.

Mosie,

One reason I mention this, even though Bruce has given a fine answer is because, this method you can use heaps of times for heaps of things.

1st, in my case, I Back-up to a 1.5TB Seagate External Drive. One can use the external's software & or 3rd Party wares, as mentioned in this thread. However, Win8.1 will do it all, all by itself. The ability is native to the OS. In my case, connected the external, configured things in File History & "Bob's your uncle", all done & very simple & straight-forward. Easy on the End User.

Now, as for where something is or how to find things... In this case it was back-up functions. In Win8 this is called File History.

Anyway, here's the point:

> either Start or All Applications screens. This can be done on either or both. IF you (happen to) know the proper name for something, just start typing it, anywhere, the OS will find it for you. IF you do not know the proper name... on this occasion related to 'Backup'... just start typing 'Backup' and that's the material the OS will give you. For this will immediately show File History. When you get the File History window open look to its Bottom-Left corner for System Image Backup

Anyway, one can do this for any thing or 'topic' in 8.1 It's great if one does not know the location of or path to something. Grab one of those 2 screens & just start typing whatever is sought.

Win8 is sooo easy & quick. It's smart, let it do stuff for you & think for you.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg