Lounger
    Thanks

Advice on a Windows 7 upgrade

I'd be glad of some advice on a W7 upgrade.

I've got Home Premium with 4Gb RAM and an adequate HDD. Because I want to get at some legacy programs, I would like to upgrade to W7 Pro but at this stage Micro$oft have withdrawn the option. The only way I could get it is in the Amazon marketplace or somewhere like. (I'm in UK)

Am I right, basically I'll be buying the upgrade key and then the system upgrades itself when I set it off. My concern is, what if the key doesn't do what it's supposed to? Will Microsoft honour the key? Anyone got any experience of this problem?

RussellXPD

Thanks
    If you purchased a legitimate upgrade DVD from a reputable retailer (Amazon) the product key will be honored by MS.
    You can also download an ISO copy of Windows 7 of your bit rate and flavor, then purchase the key afterward, although
    you are unlikely to get the "upgrade" deal.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint
    Two things I'm not sure about. I have 64 bit, so I guess you mean Home Premium 64 bit? Do I download that from Microsoft? Then I'd hopefully be finding a key from a legitimate seller through Amazon.

Do you just mean from unlikely to get the upgrade deal that I'd have to pay the full price?

Russell

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you run the legacy programs in a virtual machine using VMware or VirtualBox? Saves the upgrade cost / complexity.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellXPD View Post
    Thanks Clint
    Two things I'm not sure about. I have 64 bit, so I guess you mean Home Premium 64 bit? Do I download that from Microsoft? Then I'd hopefully be finding a key from a legitimate seller through Amazon.

Do you just mean from unlikely to get the upgrade deal that I'd have to pay the full price?

Russell
    NO, you don't purchase a product key from anyone except MS. If you purchase a W7 DVD from Amazon, you'll
    get the product key that comes with the disk automatically.

If for whatever reason you don't have a product key, you may purchase one from MS
    through the "system" window...But you may have to pay full price.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, both

There seems to be a catch with VMWare too. I did get to use that on an experimental basis (30 days) but I couldn't validate the key. What I saw was that the legacy programs I wanted to use would work within the box but I couldn't see how to get hold of a valid XP key - it appears that Microsoft clears up all its old stock, licences etc, so a seemingly sensible option can't be used. That's why I'm after W7 Pro which cuts out the need for an XP licence. I'll be interested if you have any thoughts on this, Paul.

CLiNT, If I obtain a W7 "new" DVD from Amazon, that means I'm upgrading on a different product key, is that right? you seemed confident that MSoft would honour. I would worry that someone might have used the licence key already.
    As for the system window - I'd be prepared to pay full price but I thought MSoft had blocked any further sales of Windows 7

Russell

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    VMware player and VirtualBox are free. There is a nice guide in a recent Windows Secrets newsletter.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul, I missed this.

I tried VMWare a year ago but it did not appear to work on Windows 7 Home Premium without an XP product key (which I can't provide.)

However Fred Langa doesn't mention that problem in his article. I need to look into it and try it again - it would solve my problem. I'll try it tomorrow.

Russell