4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need to recover files from rewriteable CD

Win 7 SP 1

I periodically save files to a rewritable CD using drag and drop (no critical files, but stuff I might want to look at later), to avoid desktop clutter. When the CD-RW gets filled, I generally burn the files to a CD-R for more permanent storage.

However, when I tried to add some files yesterday, Windows had a problem reading the disk (was not really a Windows problem, it was able to read other disks). Looking at the disk in Windows Explorer, there are no files showing; however, something is using about 576 MB of the disk. So I burned an ISO from the disk (took a long time because it had trouble about midway through the burn, but eventually completed). I assume that this indicates a problem with some disk sectors. But the ISO file is 576 MB, so something is there.
    So I burned a CD-R from the ISO, and again cannot see any files.

That's a long story for a short question: If only a small area of the CD-RW is actually damaged, how can I recover those files that are on the rest of the disk?

Thanks
    Hi Les, what happens when you right click the dvd / cd drive and select open, with the cd inserted. Post the image if you can.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The CD never actually shows in My Computer (just the drive), but after the drive light stops flashing (still without the CD showing), right-clicking the drive and selecting OPEN give the following: (see attachment)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi Les,
    it looks as if your cd is faulty, so there is no way to recover your files BUT do other CDs & DVD's show in My Computer?

Thanks
    Try running ISO Buster:
    http://www.isobuster.com/

This will allow you to read multi-session CDs that may not have been properly closed.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner, yes, the CD drive works correctly, and I can read and write other CD's.

Jerry, thanks for the info, I'll take a look at the program.

Thanks
    Hi Les, good luck with Jerry's suggestion.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry,
    I gave IsoBuster a try, and ended up purchasing the program. It recovered a huge amount of data (going back well over a year, even though I had deleted those old files and re-used the disk). Gonna take me a long time to sort through what I need to keep, but the program is a keeper for sure.
    Thanks again.

Thanks
    You're welcome. Happy to hear it worked.

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Jerry,
    I gave IsoBuster a try, and ended up purchasing the program. It recovered a huge amount of data (going back well over a year, even though I had deleted those old files and re-used the disk). Gonna take me a long time to sort through what I need to keep, but the program is a keeper for sure.
    Thanks again.
    I purchased Isobuster several years for the very same reasons. I was able to recover all of my wife's pictures. Happy wife, happy life. Well worth the $30.00 I paid at the time. I just recently upgraded to V3.3 for $30 last year.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Create a image

Why not create a image of your rewriteable CD before do the recovery as it can avoid the second Data disaster..As your suation, i recommend you Recuva free, it works great and totally free, if it doesn't for you and the data on your CD is important, go and find the professional data recovery tool to do the recovery job. For example, professional deleted Excel recovery tool works best on MS office file recovery field,

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryty View Post
    Why not create a image of your rewriteable CD before do the recovery as it can avoid the second Data disaster..As your suation, i recommend you Recuva free, it works great and totally free, if it doesn't for you and the data on your CD is important, go and find the professional data recovery tool to do the recovery job. For example, professional deleted Excel recovery tool works best on MS office file recovery field,
    I don't see where Recuva works with rewritable DVD's in the program features. Isobuster works well out of the box.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasjk View Post
    I don't see where Recuva works with rewritable DVD's in the program features. Isobuster works well out of the box.
    Try Stellar Phoneix data recovery pro again, but it may cost you some money

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jerryty, IsoBuster does give me the option of working from an image file, which it creates (but doesn't save), and this is what I did. In addition, I created both a copy and an image file of the CD on my hard drive before I used IsoBuster.
    This program does it all, no need to look for another.