Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    If you don't have a hot and dry climate, then forget all about cleaning your computer parts in the dishwasher.
    Southwest US in the summer, great. They dry well with a towel on the dash of an old vehicle.
    But in a humid place like the UK, any time of the year, no way.

If you are going to try something like this, I wouldn't exactly recommend on state of the art devices.
    Old obsolete computers are fair game.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    If you don't have a hot and dry climate, then forget all about cleaning your computer parts in the dishwasher.
    I guess that rules out Duck Dynasty, the ultimate rednecks!

Thanks
    Florida is quite humid, but then again, we have air conditioning, so the times I've used dishwasher/shower, I've simply hung the part(s) in a room with fishing line for three days. But there's also the "rice dryer". Cover the part in uncooked rice in a sealable container; the rice will absorb any moisture.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    But there's also the "rice dryer". Cover the part in uncooked rice in a sealable container; the rice will absorb any moisture.
    Won't some of the rice kernels get under the keys?

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Won't some of the rice kernels get under the keys?

Jerry
    That would depend on the keyboard, but even if that were to happen, the rice could be removed. Most "keys" are snap-fit plastic caps over the actual mechanism, and can be snapped off and then back on.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    How about beans?

BTW is there a way to change the default font in this reply box?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    How about beans?

BTW is there a way to change the default font in this reply box?
    I haven't tried beans. As for the font, there is a dropdown at the top of the reply box labeled "Font". There are a number of options available.

Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I am basically a lazy bum and wanted to know if there is a way to change the default. maybe greasemonkey??

New Lounger
    Thanks

Free / low-cost air blower

You can pick up a used refrigerator motor, clean it up and use it for a blower. Just make sure to flush the motor out. Works well and forever.

Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN, Don't air compressors use some air-tool oil? Unless the outflow is filtered, that would not be good for use on electronics.
    As long as you're on the Wal-Mart site, I've always bought my cans of air there. A 10oz. can was always $4.96, but now they sell them in 2-paks; don't remember the exact price, but it's still the best buy on canned air.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, some do, mostly the bigger garage or industrial sized ones, but I suppose some smaller ones might as well, especially older ones. That's a good thing to verify before purchase I reckon if to be used for electronics and sundry other uses around the home. Mostly the smaller ones are heck-a-loud when running the compressor so that can be the main drawback.

Thanks
    I'd be a bit loathsome to go out of my way to purchase an air compressor just for dusting the computer,
    but having one around (in the garage) for other uses as well (power tools/tire air filler) would be the most ideal for tear-down cleaning of the computer.
    There are even small adaptors one could get to focus the air.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Most of the electronics you use in daily life have basically already gone through a dishwasher after their soldering process. It's not such a big deal with solid state circuitry. As long as you make sure it is dry before you power it up. You can even dry it in an oven with just the light turned on. But don't use the microwave!

I used to work for a company, back in the mid-'80s which produced some of the most reliable business computers made at the time. (Big multi-rack sized ones.) We had multiple processor boards which plugged into a backplane. One Friday we received a whole batch of those boards which had not been cleaned. The flow-solder contractor said we could send them back and he'd have them to us by Tuesday, but we needed to ship later that week after an extensive testing and burn-in process. I asked how he cleaned them and he said they used what was basically the same as a large dishwasher. So I had our rework lady remove all caps and switch blocks and I took them in to the break room and ran them through the dishwasher. Afterwards she replaced those removed components (with new ones, of course.) It worked perfectly, we shipped on time, and they never came back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rje49 View Post
    FUN, Don't air compressors use some air-tool oil? Unless the outflow is filtered, that would not be good for use on electronics.
    Most of the really loud consumer-grade compressors are oil-less and say so on their labels. But you should have a filter, or at least a water separator on the output even for use with normal air tools. Compressing air squeezes out the water and it can come out through the hose. This is even more important for consumers who don't use their tools every day. They can get moisture in them which then sits around inside the tool until the next time you use it.

I currently have two compressors and have worn out others before these, so using compressed air is no biggie for me. But to buy a compressor just to save buying a can or two of compressed air a year doesn't sound like wise economics to me.

Thanks
    Oh, the other thing about cleaning your computer with compressed air: do it outside.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast