Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Yes sir, so the dishwasher deal isn't too terribly far off base, with a few notable exception, you should at least know what you are doing...
    Like taking some of your components off the board prior to washing them, knowing your washers temperature specs, cleaning solution specs,
    water mineral content, and drying factors.

There are even some experiments (Intel) being done with entire boards being run while immersed in liquid for cooling effectiveness.
    But I imagine these are specialty designs.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I forgot to mention that those boards I washed in the dishwasher sold for $18K/each. :-)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i have run a keyboard thru the dishwasher, too.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since I had heard about using the dishwasher to clean keyboards, etc. I washed a remote for the dvd player under the sink, and it don't work any more. But I had heard about cleaning keyboard in the dishwasher, no problemo.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A vacuum cleaner will not generate any more static than an air compressor nozzle. It is safe to blow static onto rlrctronics because everything is well grounded and any charge will blwwd off in a few minutes, the problem with static is drawing a spark from electronics to your body which zaps junctions.
    Just blow it out and let it sit for 5 minutes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    If you have a portable air compressor lying around the garage that'll do the trick quite nicely, ...and then some.
    If not, smile, and get the canned air and pay 6 to 9 dollars for it.

Another excellent alternative would be the dishwasher. Just make certain; 1. the temperature doesn't exceed melting point of
    plastics, 2. the water isn't too hard, and finally, 3. you dry everything really well in the sun, on the dash of your vehicle
    for a few days, at least.

The dishwasher bit is an effective red neck solution, which I'm told works surprisingly well for cigarette smoke.
    I am not kidding, I have used a hand held leaf blower. Take the PC Tower out to the patio, stay far enough away to control the air pressure on internal parts, aim carefully and see the dust billowing out. Follow up with an "Air Rocket" to finish small leftover dust.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jadaossi For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2014-03-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This seems like a need with a simple solution. Why isn't someone selling a small air compressor/blower for cleaning computers? There are small vacuum cleaners available for cleaning computer key boards. A small compressor/blower would cost maybe $15-20, which would be a lot less than buying a can of air every month. Is there a conspiracy with the canned air makers to block anyone from making a small air compressor/blower?

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Ken,

??Isn't that how this thread got started???

https://www.metrovacworld.com/DataVac_Electric_Duster

Zig

Thanks
    take the cover off the pc and jam something (small screwdriver or something like that) in the blades of the all fans in the system, i.e. chip fans, power supply, grahpics fans (to keep them from over spooling) and the blow the pc out with an air compressor. i give the factory (very dusty) pcs a (blowjob) about every six months.

http://www.piriform.com/download i use a free version of 'speccy' to find out all the specs of a pc

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Youtube demo of the Datavac / Other suck & blow options

There's a youtube demo of the Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ2OA8NT2HE

Looks pretty powerful, I'm coveting one as well, though in Australia it's looking pretty expensive:
    http://www.bacs.com.au/shop/ProductI...roductid=69060

There's a lengthy discussion of various blow & suck options here:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...1026788&page=2

I'd really prefer something like this:
    web.LAP-4100-HERO-web-BG.jpg
    because I could pump up my bicycle tires with it too. Doesn't look like this one's currently being sold though.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile another solution

You may want to try blowing into a straw. Since I started doing this, I haven't bought a single can of compressed air. The device looks good in the picture--if you need a more powerful stream of air, this would probably be a good solution.

Thanks
    Well still did not buy it. Filleted my self a bit making corned beef and cabbage. It was a carrot that did it, a baby carrot.
    Thanks for all the feed back.

steve that price does look crazy.

wiley I have heard that about ball bearing fans being damaged by compressed air rotating them too fast. I can't get my head around why that should be but I have seen it often enough to believe it. I must say before I learned of the possibility I failed to noticeably destroy any multiple times

It has also been said that a dull knife is more dangerous that a sharp knife... well I am wishing that knife was a lot duller ( or maybe sharp enough to not roll of the carrot on to my careless finger.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Get a Shop-Vac. They're not too expensive (I found mine on Craigslist for $30) and they are very handy for all kinds of cleaning around the house, shop, etc. It can be a vac and blower. It blows at high enough pressure to clean PC's effectively or use it as a a strong vacuum.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use the wife's hair drier and of course set on cool works just fine and cheap too. But system you posted is a good choice to.

Thanks
    Trigger pulled on blower, i will update in a couple of weeks.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast