3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Update to 8.1, why?

I am humbly requesting some pointers. I have been looking for a compelling reason to upgrade from 8 to 8.1 but came up empty handed.

Many of my customers have basic DSL connections and the 8.1 update was about 400+MB. On such slow connection(s) that seems unacceptable.

What would be a compelling technical reason or improvement in 8.1 to warrant the endeavor?

Thank you in advance for some enlightenment.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2014-03-11 at 08:27. Reason: Clicked on wrong button; no changes.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    The 8.1 Upgrade is approx. 3GB, not 400MB.

I've updated myself, but I see no overwhelming reason to do so, especially if you use 3rd party tweaks for
    start menu and straight to desktop capabilities.
    The top 5 reasons to upgrade to Windows 8.1

The speed of the DSL is inconsequential since the download can take place at night or off times.
    There are also documented ways to create a Windows 8.1 ISO disk but one would still have to download it.

Whatever you ultimately decide on doing, backup the main drive with an imaging application you know
    and trust, and encourage your customers to do the same prior to installing, which I'm certain you already know.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-24 at 09:27.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-03-11),eikelein (2014-03-11)

Thanks
    I am currently advising people NOT to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. I did the update myself and had some issues afterward. They were all resolved when I restored my 8.0 image.

Windows 8.0 feels solid and fast; Windows 8.1 feels bumpy here and there.

If your customers are running any old software, then it may not work under 8.1.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2014-03-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I am currently advising people NOT to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1. I did the update myself and had some issues afterward. They were all resolved when I restored my 8.0 image.

Windows 8.0 feels solid and fast; Windows 8.1 feels bumpy here and there.

If your customers are running any old software, then it may not work under 8.1.
    I've upgraded several computers to 8.1 with no issues. That said, I also see no compelling reason to up grade other than to be running the latest version of the OS. I do upgrade every new computer my clients get to 8.1 for that reason alone.

I would suggest you do he upgrade but back up your current version with an imaging application first as Clint suggested and see how it goes. You might want to wait a month for the 8.1 update release that is scheduled for early April.

Jerry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2014-03-11)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    There are no big compelling reasons, but the upcoming 8.1 Update will be for 8.1 only. Not sure if it will be good or not, tbh.

On the cons side, 8.1 requires new drivers and some hardware just doesn't work properly. I ended up buying a USB ethernet adapter for my laptop, to use instead of the wireless connection when I am working at home, as the wireless became totally unreliable after upgrading to 8.1, even using latest Intel drivers.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2014-03-11)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I do recommend moving to 8.1 Of course did myself & if a client had started w/ 8.0 had them go to 8.1, as well. IT has some nice Features and feels even quicker than 8.0 Besides the overt things, there are some good technologies under the covers in 8.1 One can easily compare what's in 8.1 to 8.0

Also, I have found nothing for both myself or w/ customers machines that suffered after moving to 8.1 and that applies to both hardware & software. No driver issues, no negative performance impacts, nothing. Any machines that were originally 8.0, I just approached it as 'standard procedure' to move them to 8.1 and have found no reason to regret it. And, finally, any machine I have migrated to 8.1 the effort has been smooth & glitch free w/out exception both @ the time and since.

So, yeah, this IT Pro says take it & can't find a reason to say don't take it. Frankly, I have always felt it should have just been pushed out as an Automatic Update. At least then, we would be avoiding all the should I or shouldn't I stuff.

I, still, to this day chuckle remembering back years ago when SP1 for XP came along and people were running around trying to tell folks not to install it, that it was a bad thing. Do people, really, have to balk @ things just for the sake of balking? It is thought to be hip or something? Just rhetorical questions, BTW.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2014-03-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Phew, that was supposed to be a direct reply to your first reply, Clint. Have no clue why it didn't work correctly. Here goes:

Thank you Clint.

For my typical customer it will be no updating, for now at least.

On little side remark though:
    All too many MS Updates require a Restart to get fully applied, even the ones automatically downloaded in the background. My creed is that it seems sort of deceptive to lull simple users into thinking that two days until the system automatically restarts is a safe procedure. The updates remain for two more days NOT applied and thus the comp remains two more days open to 0-day threats.

Again, Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by eikelein; 2014-03-11 at 08:25.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Frankly, I have always felt it should have just been pushed out as an Automatic Update. At least then, we would be avoiding all the should I or shouldn't I stuff.
    I'm glad it wasn't, because I had problems with 8.1.

Because it was presented as a big deal (as opposed to a simple update), I was prepared to revert back should anything go wrong -- I made sure that I had a good backup before installing it.

After experiencing problems with 8.1, I was able to easily go back to 8.0. I have absolutely no problems or issues of which I am aware with Windows 8.0.

Drew, I'm glad that your experience with 8.1 has been so good. But don't assume that you know what is best for everyone else. There are other IT pros here (I go all the way back to DOS 3.2) who don't agree with your opinion about 8.1.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    I, too, have never understood or agreed w/ the 2 day delay.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    No problems with upgrading to either 8.1 or the spring update!

Thanks
    There is a new (perhaps compelling) reason to hold off on 8.1. IF you don't have a full drive image of your Windows 8 installation, and you update to 8.1, you better hope that the Update for 8.1 works for you. If not, there are no more updates for PC's without the 8.1 Update.

Updates for 8 will continue to be available, but updates for 8.1 will no longer be available without the Update being installed.

Bottom line, make certain you have a full drive image of Windows 8 before making the attempt. Not that everyone will have issues, but some have had issues that were unresolved. Others have been able to upgrade to 8.1, but then have had issues with the 8.1 Update, some have been resolved, others have not.

The first line of my signature (in red) is there for good reason.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-04-25 at 05:58. Reason: spelling
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows