New Lounger
    Thanks

Why did Microsoft change the Windows file structure in 7?

When Microsoft upgraded to Vista they changed the file structure so that it starts at Users instead of "Documents and Settings" (which is actually nice) and stuck Documents, Music, Videos, etc in "User" instead of in My Documents, which is sort of nice, but it's actually confused people I've talked to who were used to everything being in My Documents (and who accessed from on the desktop). Unless they use their "Libraries" from Explorer (or I have them make shortcuts), they can't find certain folders because they're above Documents.

Also, the file structure change seems to have made backwards-compatibility with programs and upgrading from XP difficult or impossible. I don't understand this change as it confused people I helped (including me at first) and seems unnecessarily damaging to old apps.

Can someone explain why Microsoft changed the file structure? I don't see how it made it more secure as it doesn't matter what the structure is as long as malware can't sneak in through the internet.

Thanks
    Presumably Microsoft changed the structure of Windows files to make it better, in their view. Each time a new version of Windows comes out, my usual exasperated question is "Where have they hidden xxxx THIS TIME?"

Quite some time ago I documented the new layout of Windows 7 Windows files - see attachment.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Presumably Microsoft changed the structure of Windows files to make it better, in their view. Each time a new version of Windows comes out, my usual exasperated question is "Where have they hidden xxxx THIS TIME?"
    What makes it better? How does it improve security?

Thanks
    You are asking me to guess why Microsoft made some design changes in Windows 7.
    Unfortunately, I am not privy to that information, nor am I psychic!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No I'm asking: What makes it better? How does it improve security?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's the OS that is supposed to be more secure - or least that was Plan A but cosmetic changes come with most upgraded anything - just look at phones, cars etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    IMO, it had nothing to do with security. It was more about how Microsoft perceived people to think about their files. I think Microsoft believes that most people do not think of Music, Videos, & Pictures as documents. Files created by Office, Notepad, etc. are documents. Changing the structure made the various groups of files peers in terms of visibility and usability. Whether that is better is clearly a matter of opinion.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hinge,

I agree with Joe - it seems that Micro$oft felt that users would be looking for kinds of data, rather than locations of data.

Zig