New Lounger
    Thanks

Limitations of VPN connection

I connect to work via a PPTP VPN. The problem I have is that when I'm connected, I can't get out on the internet from my machine. I'm wondering if that's normal, or if there's a setting I'm missing somewhere. I've tried setting the same DNS in the VPN IP properties, but it still doesn't work. The VPN connection uses DHCP. What am I missing?

thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This is normal behaviour for a VPN - all routes are set to the VPN and you are therefore attempting to access the internet via the work network. The work network is not set to allow access from the VPN to anything external so you get nothing. The VPN client may be able to be configured to allow local access to things other than work, but you'll probably need to ask work to do this - you need route information which we can't give you.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul. Can you tell me what needs to be set in the VPN client to things other than work? Or, what would be stopping external access at work that I could look at? I am the IT guy, but this one has me stumped. Something in the firewall?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the routes on your PC. This will tell you if everything is going via the VPN. Post the details here if you're not sure.
    Start > Run > cmd
    route print

Check if the VPN sets a proxy for your browser - look in the browser. If it is set you may be able to turn the proxy setting off in the VPN client.

Test a route to an internet site. This tests routes outside the browser / proxy.
    Start > Run > cmd
    tracert windowssecrets.com

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    If there is an internal proxy, you may need to configure your internet options to use it, when connected to the VPN.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No proxy set.

Below is the output from the route print after I connected the VPN. The tracert command timed out on all 30 attempts.

route.jpg

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One of the reasons I use GBridge is it sets up virtual network adapters so it can co-exist as a VPN right alongside the local connection. Works great for simultaneously connecting to another remote PC but I don't know how it handles domains or more business-oriented constraints.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I found the issue. There's a setting in the networking properties of the VPN setup to use the gateway on the remote network. I unchecked it, and things seem to be working. I thought I had tried that before, but maybe not. So far everything seems to be working. I'll try it on some other sales laptops and see if has the same effect.

Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using a VPN service and it's working fine. The only thing is when I try and upload an attachment to my emails it crashes for a second and then returns me to my inbox where I started. When I deactivate the service I am then able to attach items to my emails. Anyone have any ideas about what might be happening?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume the VPN is hooking the uploads and doing odd things to your mail client.
    Is it a mail client or web interface?
    If it's a web interface (browser) is it via the VPN or direct to the internet?

cheers, Paul