New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot find option to 'Create a System Repair Disk' in Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit

I just can't find the option to create a system repair disk in my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 installation. I've looked in Control Panel under the System and Security section for “Back up your computer” (according to Google, that's apparently where it's supposed to be -- “Create a system repair disk.”). No such option on my installation.

This is a purchased version of Windows 7 Pro (from Digital River), updated to SP1.

I could've sworn I've seen it there before -- never got around to making the disk because I prefer to depend on regular image backups of my entire system partition.

Did Microsoft remove the option in SP1, or am I looking in the wrong place? Or is my installation screwed up in some way?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    RKR,

Just click on the Orb then start typing:
    System Repair
    The option should show up at the top of the window. HTH
    systemrepair.JPG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for the response.

That was one of the first things I tried (even before navigating all through to the Control Panel submenu). Nothing. Closest I get is "Create a Restore Point".

I've even tried creating a 'Godmode' folder, hoping that that would bring out all the deeply hidden options. Nothing!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    RKR,

You may want to run the System File Checker and see what that turns up. You may need to revert to one of those Images or do a Non-Destructive Reinstall.
    HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was worried about that!

I've run SFC before, and it states that there are some files it cannot fix.

I could revert to one of the images, but I don't know how long ago this problem started (I think it was quite a while ago, which means it would have to be a pretty old image -- which pretty much rules out that option).

A repair install does seem to be the best option; I've been holding back on it since my system is set up with Programs pointed to on a separate partition, Documents pointed to a third partition (I believe that this can cause problems with a repair install).

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    An alternative to try before the repair install is to run the sfc /scannow after booting up with a Win 7 install disc.

You can download a Win 7 SP1 ISO for your version from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/ and use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool to create a bootable USB or DVD.

When that's done, tap F12 as you switch on and move the USB or CD/DVD up to the first boot order, insert the media then press Enter.

After you have confirmed/changed the currency/keyboard select the Repair option and select Command Prompt from those options.

At the command prompt enter bcdedit |find "osdevice"

Using whichever partition letter it gives, enter (assuming C: and there is a space before each forward slash) sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows and that should repair your system files, although I don't know what effect it would have on how you have set those up for the separate partitions.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-12 at 06:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response.

I've downloaded the Win7 SP1 ISO already, for such an eventuality -- are you saying that your procedure ('run the sfc /scannow after booting up with a Win 7 install disc') will do an in-place nondestructive repair install?

Like I mentioned earlier, I've been holding back on a repair since my system is set up with Programs pointed to on a separate partition (D: ), and Documents pointed to a third partition (G: ); I read on the Win7 Tutorials website that this can cause problems with a repair install. Any comments on this?

Thanks for all the help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The offboot sfc /scannow performs the same repair as running it from within Windows, but doing it from an incorrupt source.

You could also see what the chkdsk command from the Windows Command Prompt reports.

chkdsk without any parameters is a read only mode but will report on any bad files/sectors.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-12 at 08:14.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you downloaded the ISO did you create a bootable USB or disk from it as it won't boot from it if you've just stuck it on an USB or DVD.