3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can I do the following on Thunderbird

We have a few W7 Home computers. We use Thunderbird for our email.

Currently, I have it set to Leave Messages on Server for 14 days. This allows my wife to see messages on her computer and then if I look for messages on my computer they get d/l also. But I would like to do the following:

IF I read an email to me on my computer and then delete it as part of Thunderbird, THEN I would like it also deleted on the server. I don't see how to do this. There is a setting to Leave Messages on the server until I delete them, but I assume this means until I go to the server and delete them. Or do I have it mixed up and if I delete it on Thunderbird it will get deleted from the server (which is what I want to happen)?

Mel

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    I think when you choose to leave them on the server they stay on the server regardless if you delete them in Thunderbird.

You can send some emails to yourself and try it for yourself.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Thunderbird set to Leave messages on server (for 20 days) or (until I delete them), the emails are deleted from my server when I delete them in Thunderbird.

Thanks
    It doesn't work that way with me.
    I can only delete them by going on the server and deleting them from there...
    Whatever I delete in Thunderbird stays on the server.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Banya:

Same here. I reset the settings to leave messages on the server until I delete them. I then sent myself an email It showed up on Thunderbird and also on my server. I deleted from Thunderbird. But it was still on my server.

So, is there any way to delete a message from the server immediately when deleting from Thunderbird

GWS-- can you check again if that's what is happening on your set-up and if so maybe you can find the setting that does that?
    Mel

Thanks
    Well, if you could what you want to be done with Thunderbird then that would defeat the entire purpose of leaving email on the server..

I don't leave mail on the server..I just tried it in response to your problem..

I believe, if you set up Thunderbird to leave mail on the server for a certain number of days then at the end of those days the mail will be deleted from the server.

You could try the Mozilla Thunderbird forums and see if they may know a way to do what you want..

Thanks
    It can be done if you are using IMAP but I don't think it can be done with POP3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(