Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

defender problem

I have a new win 8.1 laptop. It came with McAfee security suite on free trial which I deleted. I tried to turn on Windows Defender but get the following error message " error 577 Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file". I strongly suspect that McAfee has left some iegacy which is preventing defender opening. If I am correct does anyone know a fix please. Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Try running "sfc /scannow" sans quotes from an administrative command prompt.

Thanks
    How did you delete McAfee? Via Programs and Features? Uninstall should restore Defender automatically.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks yes via uninstall programs

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    sfc found no errors

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Use a McAfee Removal Tool. You didn't want McAfee in the 1st place (ever).

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks drew. I certainly agree about McAfee. I have run the removaL tool but defender still won't run

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcbn View Post
    thanks drew. I certainly agree about McAfee. I have run the removaL tool but defender still won't run
    Anything telling you why it won't run? It is a free call to MS for this issue; they will get it running. I'm not sure if the number I'm giving you works from the UK, might be different.

1-866-727-2338

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you run the McAfee removal tool in Safe Mode?
    Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Actually, I've had to deal w/ this for a client some time ago, sorry, took me a moment to click. The Removal Tool wasn't enough. It took Revo Uninstaller to do the trick. 100% removal of some security programs can be challenging, @ times.
    Anyway, use this and reboot. This is basically what MS would do for you, as well. If it doesn't work for you then, call them. Defender is, still, seeing McAfee somewhere.

Again, sorry it didn't come to mind immediately that I'd recently gone through this. I'm fairly certain, that occasion was McAfee, as well. However it does happen w/ others, too. Try again after using Revo.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks again drew. I will try Revo. It takes a little while because it is actually my grandsons computer and therefore not readily accessible. I have noticed a couple of registry entries which are different to those on a computer running defender satisfactorily. Would Revo correct these if they are the problem.?(dword "disableantispyware")

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Don't concern yourself w/ the Reg or its entries... it, still, roots back to effects of McAfee. That's what's shutting down or blocking WD. See where things stand after running Revo. WD is ON by default unless some 3rd Party program stops it. McAfee is not all gone.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    Windows Defender will not necessarily turn itself back on (after it has been disabled by McAfee or Symantec) just by uninstalling the program that turned it off. Using the proper tools will usually get rid of the registry entries that block it from starting, but it often must be restarted manually.

Go to Settings > Control Panel > System and Security > Action Center and click on the Security dropdown. This will show you an option to turn on Windows Defender if it is turned off. If the option is greyed out or otherwise inactive, then you still have remnants of the program that turned it off left in the registry.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks bbearren. Defender wont start using your suggestion so I am fairly sure there is some registry debris left. I haven't been able to try Drew's Revo suggestion as yet. Hopefully that will clean up.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    problem solved. A brief resume of how in case it helps anyone else.Revo uninstaller failed to find any residual of Mcafee. So I searched the registry for any entries relating to Defender and compared them with entries on a computer running Defender satisfactorily.Two were different "HKEY LOCAL MACHINE- software microsoft- window defender -disableantispy and disableantivrus" set the dword values from 1 to to 0 and Defender came on automatically on reboot. The editing of the the registry was quite complex involving changes of ownership and to control permissions.. Thanks to all those who offered help and advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast