Star Lounger
    Thanks

visualising activity on different drives

The processing of videos on my computer should all be located on the SSD C drive (no source files are located on other drives). However, when I start the process, I hear a sound that suggests the HD E drive is also being involved in the processing and I'm not sure why. Is there some way to see - during the processing - what activity the E drive is actually carrying out and whether it is slowing down the process?
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a look at HTG: Lesson 4: Understanding Process Monitor.

Download and run Sysinternals' Process Monitor.

procmon.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Do the following:
    1. Stop the capture (see 1 in screenshot).
    2. Clear the results (see 2 in screenshot).
    3. Click on activity icons until only Show File System Activity is active (see 3 in screenshot). (Optional, 'cos we're going to filter results even further...)
    4. Add a filter by pressing CTRL+L (or choose Filter... from the Filter menu) then amend it so it shows Path begins with E: then Include. Next click on the Add button, then on the Apply button then on the OK button to dismiss the dialog (see 4 in the screenshot).
    5. Click on the Capture button again (see 1 in the screenshot) or press CTRL+E.
    6. Start the video processing you want to monitor then swap back to Process Monitor to see if the filter shows file system activity on E:.

Once you get the hang of it you can add as many filters as you want... it cuts down on the HUGE amount of activity that Process Monitor logs by default.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-05-11 at 05:31.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

dwsolo (2014-05-11),satrow (2014-05-11)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rick
    The results were very interesting. It looks as if the video-making software is looking at the source files on the E drive despite the fact that I copied them to the C drive and re-established the mvp file (the file that tells the computer where to find the source files) such that it should use the files on the C drive. I shall have to experiment further...
    Back later :-)
    Kind regards
    David
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All sorted now. Many thanks. Very useful programme that :-)
    Kind regards
    David
    dwsolo

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to help. Thanks for reporting back.