New Lounger
    Thanks

Must I allow updates to Internet Explorer when using Firefox?

This is my first Lounge post. I am a recent convert (from Win XP) to Win 7 X64 and have elected the option to require Windows Update to notify me when updates are available; but I decide if I want/need the update. So far, I have two rather large updates to Internet Explorer 10 stacked up that I have not yet allowed to load. I am a long-time user and big fan of Mozilla Firefox. I have not activated Internet Explorer on this machine and do not ever intend to do so. I'm concerned about cluttering my hard drive with unnecessary and large (40MB) updates, if they are exclusive to Internet Explorer and do not affect any other Windows function. Also, the silly notifications won't go away; since I haven't yet loaded the two updates in question, the system keeps announcing that they are available. I see no way of setting preferences to indicate that I have elected to use a browser other than Microsoft's own preferred product. So, please tell me: should I simply allow the updates to load and forget about it, or is there a way to safely turn off Internet Explorer notifications? Thanks!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    In the past various IE components have been relied on to be present by some third party applications. If you have one of these applications you want the IE component to be updated. Also, if perchance your system became infected the malware could depend on an unpatched version of some IE component to do its work. It is better to keep things updated in case the IE components are used.

Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Just because you don't use parts of your computer is not an excuse for not updating them. Installing all relevant updates is just part of routine maintenance on your PC, as is a regular backup.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Parts of IE are used by the Windows Help system and more, even a non-MS web browser might use some IE dlls - I just checked 3 browsers and they use at least the "Run time utility for Internet Explorer", iertutil.dll, one is also using ieproxy.dll. Depending on the content displayed, other IE files may also be used from time to time.

I'd keep it updated.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you! I appreciate the specifics. Very helpful answer. Will allow the updates, based on your input.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Joe.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not a very helpful answer, Paul -- a bit pedantic and lacking specifics -- but appreciate you taking time to reply.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    But I am a pedant!

cheers, Paul