Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows7 FAX Folders Mystery Location

Feel free to read this entire thread, but go to post #5 for the current mysteries, and the latest Help Needed!

I have been unable to persuade my 64-bit Windows7 Laptop to use coverpages. And there are other mysteries also.

My Classic Start Menu has a FAX folder, with the following items:
    A Link to Windows Fax and Scan (which works fine),
    and links to the following Folders:
    ActivityLog
    Common Coverpages
    Inbox
    Queue
    SentItems
    VirtualInbox

These folders are in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\

Every folder is empty, except for Common Coverpages, which has the Windows7 original Coverpages plus five additional Coverpages that I imported from my previous 32-bit WindowsXP Laptop.

I am not surprised that ActivityLog, Inbox, Queue, and VirtualInbox folders are all empty, because I don't know what they are for given that I have only Faxed twice, with two test messages. Those sent Faxes used to be in SentItems, but now they have disappeared. They shouldn't have done that, but it probably is the result of my attempts to find out where FAX folders should be.

And I am unable to read or edit the coverpages.

I suspect that the ActivityLog, Common Coverpages, Inbox, Queue, SentItems, and VirtualInbox folders are now in the wrong places.

If anyone knows where those folders should be so that Windows Fax and Scan can find them, please let me know.

Alternatively, if there is some way to persuade Windows7 to let me put those folders where I would like them to be (that is, in my partition D:, where I usually keep all data if at all possible), that would be even better.

Thanks for any help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2014-03-11 at 22:11.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    On My PC, these folders are located at:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\WindowsNT\MSFax

You probably need to set Control Panel > Folder Options > View Tab to
    Show Hidden Files
    and Uncheck Hide protected Operating System Files

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    jwtalka (Jerry):

Thanks very much for your response. I see that we both have these folders in the same location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\WindowsNT\MSFax.

I checked my Control Panel > Folder Options > View Tab, and Hidden Files is checked, and Hide Protected Operating System Files is Unchecked.

And in my Classic Start Menu, FAX > MSFax > Common CoverPages > en-US > I do get a list of Cover Pages, each with a .cov extension. But when I select one, I get a message (http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ation?p=943981) that Windows doesn't know what program to open it with:
    "Description: Windows does not recognize this file type.
    "You may search the following Web site for related software and information:
    "Search the web."
    followed by advertising links to four "Sponsored sites" third-party services, but I don't want to go that route.
    Surely there is some way built-in to Windows7sp1 for me to edit coverpages.

But if I ignore my Classic Start Menu, and use Windows Fax and Scan > Press bottom left corner Fax > Menu Tools button > Cover Pages, I still get a Fax Cover Pages window that doesn't have any cover pages in it.

Maybe I have to be in an Administrator account. I will try that, and report back.

R.N. Roger Folsom

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion. I clicked the link, and discovered that its location was a place where I had already been. I skipped the video because I don't want to install SilverLight since it is a program I will never use (and I figured that the video would have the same information that the rest of the page would have).

I opened To Create A Coverpage With Windows Fax and Scan, and To Edit A Coverpage With Windows Fax and Scan, copied the contents into Thornsoft's ClipMate and from there into Mozilla-SeaMonkey's HTML Composer, saved those instructions (I would attach them here except that I don't know where to do that), displayed them on my external monitor, and followed the directions: I opened To Edit A Coverpage With Windows Fax and Scan, clicked the Fax button in the left bottom corner, selected Tools and then Cover Pages, but I still got an empty Fax Cover Pages window with absolutely nothing in it.
    So I didn't have a cover page to edit.

I tried these instructions in my User account, and in my Administrator account, and got the same empty Fax Cover Pages window.

However, that empty Fax Cover Pages window, on the right side, has a Copy button that is not greyed out. Pressing it takes me to the location where the Common Coverpages are stored, at
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Common Coverpages\en-US.

That creates a new window, with the title "Copy cover page to list of personal cover pages." The bottom of that window has an empty File name: field, and another field with a drop-down menu which says "Cover Pages (*.cov)" with no other choices.

But I don't know what to do with that. What is this new window for? Where would the "list of personal cover pages" be? What File name should I use? What am I supposed to do next? Help needed!

I can fax, but unless I can find out what that new window is for and what I am supposed to do with it, apparently I will never be able to use previously-prepared Cover Pages (even if only prepared by Microsoft's Windows Fax and Scan team).

Jerry: Thanks for your help, even if I never find out what the Personal Cover Pages window is about. It did clarify some issues, e.g. I now know where my unusable previously-prepared Cover Pages are located!

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2014-03-11 at 17:51. Reason: New Personal Cover Pages List Mystery

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the message above, I wrote:
    [Clicking on Copy] creates a new window, with the title "Copy cover page to list of personal cover pages." The bottom of that window has an empty File name: field, and another field with a drop-down menu which says "Cover Pages (*.cov)" with no other choices.
    But I don't know what to do with that. What is this new window for? Where would the "list of personal cover pages" be? What File name should I use? What am I supposed to do next? Help needed!

I now realize that the "Copy cover page to list of personal cover pages" (which is at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Common Coverpages\en-US) is a storage location for four coverpages that Microsoft Windows7 supplies. And to copy one or more of the coverpages listed there, just click on it and it will go into the File name: field located at the bottom of that window.
    From there it will go into the "list of personal cover pages" which is the Fax Cover Pages window, accessed by opening Windows Fax and Scan > Tools > Cover Pages.

Note that the Fax Cover Pages window has a "Create or edit a fax cover page" link, which opens instructions for doing that. If the Fax Cover Pages window is already open, the first step is to click New.

New Fax Cover Pages, if added to the Fax Cover Pages window, also go into C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Common Coverpages\en-US

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

P.S. The remaining issue is why do all Fax Cover Pages, including those provided by Microsoft and those created by users, all have a huge blanked out area on the left side of the Cover Page. I can edit the text area (although the blanked out area hides the right end of the Cover Page), but I haven't found any way to reduce the size of the Cover Page blanked out area in order for all of the right end text area to be visible.
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2014-05-03 at 19:55. Reason: New Knowledge

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your discussion appears to be confined to Windows: Do you have Word (any version)?

In Word 2010, for example, go to File/New/My Templates, or Sample Templates, or search Office.com for Fax Templates, and you will find many fax cover pages, any of which you can modify to suit your taste. You can also buy third-party commercial templates online, either through Office.com or elsewhere. I do suggest you exercise caution with sources – Microsoft’s own samples are quick and safe and easily modified. (I am wary of macros.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dogberry:

Thanks for your reply. Incidentally, like you I am wary of macros.

I'm a Corel WordPerfect x6 user, and I also have some MS Viewers for Word and other items --- ExcelViewer[2008], MS WordViewer[2007]_En-us, PowerPointViewer[2011] --- but I don't have any Microsoft documents that create Word (or Excel or PowerPoint) documents. (WordPerfect can convert its format into MS Word formats, so I can share documents I create with people who use MS Word.)

What frustrates me is that MS Windows 7 (and also Windows XP) provide Fax Cover Pages, including ready-to-use CoverPages and editable CoverPages and empty CoverPages for users to create their own CoverPages from scratch, all have a huge blanked out area on the left side of the Cover Page. There's got to be a reason (or at least an excuse) for that, but I can't find out the purpose of that blanked-out area. I do wonder if it is the result of having a maximally high resolution screen, on my older laptops and on my current laptop.

I am currently in contact with the WordPerfect Universe website members to see if anyone can explain the blanked out area.

I will do a Google search for Fax Cover Pages Templates, unless you have something more specific (other than from Microsoft) for an online source of CoverPage templates.

Thanks again for your reply.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are two explanations for there being a ‘blank area’ on the left side of a fax page, and not all faxes have such a space.

In the first case, it contains a field for the date. This is handy if you have a pile of hard-copy faxes and you want to put them in chronological order. The only field that interests you for sorting purposes is the date, and there it is, all by its lonesome.

In the second case, you need landscape orientation to ‘get the picture’. This is a table, at the top of the page now that it is in landscape, with fields for Telephone Number, Fax Number, and Email address and the corresponding column of descriptions. In a standard filing cabinet with standard file folders, this table will appear at the top of the page as it is filed, on its side in the folder. You can jam a lot of information in that strip to make it easy to identify filed faxes.

I can’t see any of this, you say, as the bad guys burst in the door and say 'reveal codes'. (Actually, it’s worse than that: Microsoft is using colour – green to be exact – and it is so faint I can barely see it on my monitor.) Tables and fields are like that, and fax cover sheets use them a lot.

KMT OfficeReady is a standard source of templates for Windows Office and WordPerfect Office – I think you may have received a limited set when you purchased WP.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

RNFolsom (2014-05-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dogberry:

Thanks for the education! But the CoverPages that I have seen from Microsoft (WinXP and Win7) have such a huge blanked-out area on the left side that the right side of the text is pushed out of view. The blanked-out area is roughly 50% of the total available width of the CoverPage. That's a lot more than is needed for the date! And the blanked-out area is impossible to write on (in my experience, perhaps because I am doing something wrong).

As for your last paragraph: Thanks for the KMT Office Ready website (I just now did a Google Search, and came right up with it). I had never heard of them.

But my Academic version of WordPerfect x6 does include Office Ready, listed in my Classic Start Menu. My "graduation" from WordPerfect X3 to X6 has been time consuming, and I hadn't yet done anything with Office Ready. I will check out its templates before using KMT Office Ready. But I very much appreciate knowing about the KMT Office Ready website for possible future use.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the blanked-out area: In Windows7sp1, in Windows Fax and Scan > Tools > Cover Pages, opens a Fax Cover Pages window. If you have any of the default Cover Pages (confident.cov, fyi.cov, generic.cov, urgent.cov), double-click it and you should see the blanked-out area.

If the Fax Cover Pages window is empty, on the windows right edge click the Copy button and you should get a list of choices (listed above). Select one of them, and its name should go into the File name field. Then click the Open button, and the selected Cover Page should go into the Fax Cover Pages window. Click on it and you should see the blanked-out area.
    (The Copy button tales me to "Copy cover page to list of personal cover pages" at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Common Coverpages\en-US).

If instead of clicking Copy you click New, you should get the opportunity to create your own Cover Page --- but again only with a large left side blanked-out area.

At least on my high resolution screen laptop, that blanked-out area is large. And in my own CoverPage creations, the text in the right edge is not displayed, because all of the text has moved rightward (and past the window's right edge) where it cannot be read. And again I can find no way to type anything into the blanked-out area.

Again, thanks for the information you have provided me!

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

P.S. If anyone reading this knows the purpose of these blanked-out areas (which apparently won't accept any writing), please let me --- and the rest of the world --- know their purpose. And if they have no purpose, knowing how to shrink them or get rid of them would be very useful.
    Last edited by RNFolsom; 2014-05-07 at 00:15. Reason: Paragraphs below ---- line

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don’t intend chase your mystery, but I can provide my sources, and since WP can handle Windows Office formats as easily as its own (with the exception of Outlook and stuff like Publisher and Visio and Project), I expect you might benefit from looking them over.

Office 2010 came with a set of Sample Templates which were bundled with it, with the option to download many more, whereas Office 2013 simply referred users to the web site with the opportunity to download what they wanted (thereby reducing the size of the installation file). Users, however, are encouraged to upload templates to add to the stew, which is the reason for the caution about macros. If it’s from MS or OfficeReady the macros should be safe.

Office 2010 Median Fax (plus Median Letter, Median Merge Fax, Median Merge Letter, Median Report and Median Resume) is my source for the business of having the DATE in the left 'median'. Since it is actually specified as 'median' one might expect it to be in the middle, which it is not, in these templates, but which would be consistent with your description of what you are seeing in your case. 'Median Resume' is interesting, in that on the left there is a placeholder for your mug shot, where in all others it is the date.

Fax Cover Sheet (Academic Design) is one office.com source for a fax with the additional information (rotated 90°) in the left margin, to be seen as ‘at the top’ in a file cabinet.

Fax Cover Professional is a basic cover that begs for customization.

I was reminded of this today with the arrival of the May fonts.com newsletter, which features the Serifa typeface, which is one of the many fonts available to you in the font library that comes with WP. All Windows users, with or without MS Office, are sitting on a mountain of fonts they will never use, and using typefaces other than Microsoft’s choices (especially for the word ‘Fax’) is a quick route to having a personalized, ‘signature’, template to suit your style and make you identifiable. You also have Charter, which I believe was originally designed for low-resolution applications such as fax, but which proved to be a success for body copy in general, and which my own preferred choice for fax body (and much else).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

RNFolsom (2014-05-10)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the trial version of WordPerfect X7, and when I click the down arrow beside WordPerfect/Start I have the options Blank and New Project/Existing Document. Clicking on the New/Existing gives me a list of templates, including Faxes, both conventional and legal, named Standard Fax and Fax Cover Sheet, Legal. Among the X7 'Incentive Files’ that you download when you register the trial (still free) is a Fax Cover Sheet.wpd. My older WP X5 has a slightly different arrangement, but it, too, has fax templates.

I suggest you check to be sure your patches are up-to-date and WordPerfect OfficeReady is installed. WordPerfect has its own templates available to you, and there should be no need to go looking elsewhere, in the short run at least.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dogberry For This Useful Post:

RNFolsom (2014-05-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dogberry:

Thanks for both of your messages. I have downloaded the Microsoft links you provided --- Fax cover sheet (Professional design), Fax cover sheet (Median theme) - Templates, Fax cover sheet (Academic design) --- with the understanding that even without installing MS Office 2013 they could be used at least in Windows7's Windows Fax and Scan, and also with WordPerfect X6's Office Ready. (It definitely is installed.)

On my ToDo list is to check out WordPerfect X7. The documentation for WordPerfect X6 is terrible --- I would guess at least 500 printed pages, in a Guide book, a Hand book, a Reviewer's Guide --- plus a physical book (WordPerfect Office, The Complete Reference Guide) by Laura Acklen (apparently her previous co-author Read Gilgen has retired or been fired) which doesn't admit that it is for X5 rather than X6 although there are internal clues.
    If X7 goes back to the previous single book with an index (Acklen and Gilgen's WordPerfect 12 book, published by QUE, would be an excellent model), I will consider replacing X6 with X7.

One uncertainty remains: You suggest that my patches should be up-to-date. But I don't know what patches you have in mind. I do use WordPerfect Universe (www.wpuniverse.com), and if there were an X6 Service Pack (there is an X5 Service Pack), I would have seen it listed there.

Thanks again for the information you have been providing.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to Corel.com for patches. There are two SRs and one hot patch for WP X6.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    Go to Corel.com for patches. There are two SRs and one hot patch for WP X6.
    dogberry:

Thanks for the suggestion. I went to that location (which was new to me; thanks), saw what was there, opened my WordPerfect X6. clicked on the Help button, noted that my installed version X6 was 16.0.0.429, went back to the location you provided, confirmed that the Hot Patch and both Service Packs (1 and 2) all were older (version number and date) than my X6 version 16.0.0.429 purchased on 13 July 2013, so I didn't install anything.

But I have made a note of the link you provided (http://www.corel.com/corel/pages/ind...1&ppid=5000001) for future use.

Thanks!

R.N. (Roger) Folsom