Lounger
    Thanks

slave drive loses its letter

Windows Explorer in Win7 Ultimate 32bit does NOT see a SATA slave drive until it has been given a letter by means of Disk Management; then the next time that drive is connected as a slave, Disk Management has to be used AGAIN. Can I prevent this loss of the drive letter for slave drives ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    How is the drive connected (what type of connection) and when? The only thing I've had happen along those lines is using an eSATA connected drive. The eSATA connection always wanted to switch to D: during boot up but that letter was occupied so one or the other was always left without a letter. There is no such thing as a slave SATA drive, each has it's own separate data cable so I'm not sure of your configurationbut if these are all internal drives I think I would remove all the partitions and reformat with a new assigned letter on the drive that seems to keep losing it to see if that repaired the problem.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The SECOND drive, whose letter keeps being lost, is connected WHEN I WANT IT CONNECTED by a SATA data cable and a SATA power cable. The ARE internal drives, but I leave the case open for easy access. " I would remove all the partitions" Only as a last resort - even then I would prefer to just add a drive letter when needed.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well if you are hot-swapping this second drive it sounds like the system is just not fully handling the configuration change. If the system is shut down each time before connecting or disconnecting then I think it more likely a drive letter conflict or the drive itself may have a problem. You say "partitions," so does that mean there are more than one on the second drive and do all the rest get assigned letters normally?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Try using a drive letter near the end of the alphabet such as 'Y' this may remove any conflict with the reserved numbers at beginning of alphabet.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Lounger
    Thanks
    F.U.N. downtown
    "if you are hot-swapping this second drive" - I do NO hot-swapping. "If the system is shut down each time before connecting or disconnecting" THAT is what happens. "the drive itself may have a problem" It may well be, but this behaviour happens with all drives I connect by SATA cables - different drives for different purposes. "You say "partitions," so does that mean there are more than one on the second drive" ONE of the second drives has multiple partitions - they all show once the drive has been assigned a letter by Disk Manager. "do all the rest get assigned letters normally?" They do, once Disk Manager has been brought to bear on the problem.

curiousclive
    I recognise the potential of your suggestion - I have not taken that up because I ALSO access many different drives through a SWITCHED USB hub, and have already allocated 'letters such as Y' to them.