Silver Lounger
    Thanks

printer just stops

Hi All,

I have an HP 7250 all-in-one printer - about 4 years old now and running under Win 7.

For the last 2 months or so, the printer has been quite annoying (it was somewhat annoying even before that).

The problem for the last 2 months is that it will just stop printing a page after maybe printing about 5 lines. This is the first page of a small printout (I don't print anything with lots of pages). I hit the Cancel button and try again. Maybe after 2 or 3 tries, the job will complete.

I was on the HP site and the latest drivers, which I did download and install, are about the same age as the printer. Even with the new driver, same problem.

(The other annoying problem from day 1 is that the printer takes a while to be ready to print or is usually in a mode of doing something - both involving spinning gears. I would understand if this was when it was first turned on but it happens anytime thereafter as well.)

Maybe the answer is that it's time for a new printer. If so, suggestions on printers or reviews are appreciated. This is for home use so printing does not involve large jobs. Auto duplex, copy/scan/fax, color printing, and, hopefully, not expensive ink cartridges (with 3rd party availability) used up to they are empty (and no/minimal color use for B/W) are what I'm looking for. Also may need to network the printer to also allow access by a MAC.

TIA

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

HP has a printer troubleshooter for your Windows machine which may help http://h10010.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c02073861

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That is the same web site that I referred to in my original post that I downloaded the latest drivers from. I had also downloaded the Print and Scan Doctor from that site. Didn't really help.

This being an inkjet printer, I understand it works a little differently than the laser B/W printer I had up to a few years ago. The latter usually buffer the material at the printer while I understood inkjets depend on Windows to do the buffering. When the printer stops, it almost seems like the printer is waiting on Windows to feed it more material to print but Windows does not respond. Hence you get 5 or so lines of text and then the printer stops. This can go on for 2 or 3 attempts to print before being successful that the printer does print everything it's supposed to.

Could it be that there's a Windows problem?

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps clearing and resetting the Print Spooler may help http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ear-reset.html

Edit

I've just checked out the manual steps for that reset and I don't have a spool folder in my System32 but the batch file executed okay.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-15 at 12:15.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

I checked out the tutorial on clearing the print spooler. My printer folder had nothing in it. So I turned on the printer and started a job. 2 files appeared:
    - FP00000.shd (listed as a "SHD" file type)
    - FP00000.spl (listed as a Shockwave Flash object)

The printer printed a few lines and stopped - as is usually the case now. Both files vanished and the printer folder was again empty.

However, I could not stop the spooler service because of an Access Denied msg. I was running from a user account. I might try switching to the admin account but don't have lots of time now. However, it seems to me if the printer folder is already empty, there really is no need to stop the spooler process.

So I tried again. This time, the 2 files above ended with 1 instead of 0. But same result.

The sevenforums site you referred to also pointed to a troubleshooting tutorial which I have yet to try. It involved a number of steps, including editing and deleting registry keys. That will definitely take more time than I have now.

Will give a try when I have a little more time.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As the Spooler loads the files for the printer, just thought it may have been worth a try - didn't see those reg modifying steps in the article.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The reg-modifying steps were not in the article you pointed to at the sevenforums site. But towards the end of it, either in that article or someone's answer, was a link to a printer trouble shooting guide. That had the reg-modifying steps. When I have more time, I'll consider going thru that guide; looked at it briefly before so I know those steps were there.

As it is, this printer may be at the end of its life (about 5 years old) and it was always annoying with its gear spinning. So I've also been checking out new printers. Right now I've focused in on an Epson 3540 or an HP 6700. Not very happy with either; so willing to expand my consideration.