New Lounger
    Thanks

Some advice on transferring from hard drive to solid state drive?

I am new to this and I got up to the part where I try to shrink my C: drive but it won't allow me to do so. I"ve tried disk defragmenting. I just recently shrunk my ssd so i could create a backup/restore drive. Should i just keep booting up on my hard drive and use everything else on my solid state drive?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A well-established method for transferring a system drive to an SSD is an intelligent partition clone (not sector by sector) with just about any capable imaging software like Macrium Reflect or EaseUS ToDo. Intelligent clone means you can clone a much larger partition to what is usually a smaller sized SSD, as long as all the occupied space is not greater than the capacity of the SSD.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Your SSD should be your boot disk, your OS drive and your file store. The only thing you should use a mechanical drive for is backup or very large file storage - music, video pictures etc. Do not create a backup zone on your SSD, or any other partition, just fill it up to 80 - 90% with the things you use often. Create an image backup to a mechanical hard drive, once a month should be sufficient.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Always create backups and images on a separate drive than your system drive. Otherwise if your system drive fails you will also lose all your backups and won't be able to restore to a new drive.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you guys for the replies. Much appreciated. So once I install the backup program all I have to do is run it? Then clone my hard drive? or my ssd?
    EDIT: Also what am I supposed to do with my hard drive? Do I create the image then put my harddrive into my ssd?
    Last edited by kawikaha; 2014-03-12 at 18:05.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Without knowing your disk set up I wouldn't want to suggest too much. Can you view your disks in Disk Manager - Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc - and post a screen shot?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Will do so after I can get my computer running again, ran into some problems.
    Last edited by kawikaha; 2014-03-14 at 22:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    http://imgur.com/BgYmLKx is the screenshot link.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    What do you want to do with those 3 disks?
    Which one is an SSD?
    Where the disks installed at the same time or have you added some after installing Windows?

cheers, Paul

p.s. If you save the screenshot on C: you can upload it directly to your post instead of linking to an external site.
    p.p.s. Use Snipping Tool to take a screenshot, Start > Programs > Accessories > Snipping tool.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    According to the driver it says that the 120gb is the ssd 0.0 and I had os on it. Now I can only have OS on my hard drive which is the 1tb one for some odd reason. Though I thought my 1tb was a ssd. But to be sure I'm going to contact the manufacturer of my computer and see if my 1tb is the ssd or if it is indeed the corsair. But now I can't install the OS onto my corsair the 120gb drive for some reason when I was reinstalling everything. Instead it downloaded onto my 1tb drive, due to it being 64bit.

Thanks
    What is drive 2? It looks like a USB stick. Why include it?

According to your disk management image, your operating system is ALREADY installed on the SSD (disk 1).
    It's even got the Windows 7 hallmark 101 MB partition on it. (you can leave this alone)

It's VERY HIGHLY unlikely that your 1TB drive is the SSD, unless you do recall paying for all that disk space: 500-1000 dollars.
    1TB SSD's are very expensive and very few manufacturers with include them. You don't have a 1TB SSD.

DRIVE 0 is your 1TB mechanical hard drive.
    DRIVE 1 is your SSD with your primary "C" drive.
    DRIVE 2 is some form of removable 14GB drive formatted in FAT32
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    It loaded onto the 1TB drive because it's drive 0 (the lowest number). If you are doing a fresh install you need to move the 120GB SSD to the first SATA hard drive connector, usually labelled 0 (zero). I would disconnect all other drives during the install to be sure.
    If you do an upgrade it should load the OS onto whichever disk currently has the OS.

cheers, Paul

p.s. do you have an image of the 120GB disk on the 1TB disk as a backup?

Thanks
    Yeah, definitely disconnecting the 1TB drive while you're clean installing the OS on the SSD would make things much simpler.
    The SSD should be formatted prior to installing on it, if anything, to get rid of what was previously there.

Backup the contents of the 1TB drive to an external drive and format that drive too;
    It's possible that the 1TB drive has some of the primary drive's boot components, which can play havoc in it's own way.

The drive number has little to no relevance when it comes loading or boot order.
    Ensuring the SSD is on the fastest SATA port is the main thing.

Once everything is set up properly on the SSD, you can connect the formatted 1TB drive and start backing up to it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The drive number has little to no relevance when it comes loading or boot order.
    Except that Windows will always attempt to perform a fresh install to the first disk.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    A short while ago I purchased a Plextor 256 gb SSD to replace the 850 gb regular drive in my laptop which had 3 partitions on it. A recovery partition, the C drive and a data drive and I did not have much on the C and D drive. The clone software that came with the Plextor drive needed a hard drive enclosure connected with USB 3 and the new SSD plugged into the laptop. The cloning software ran in DOS and shrunk the size or the C and D drives and cloned all 3 drives perfectly with no problems at all. The recovery partition even works exactly like it did on the old drive. ( I just barely started the recovery to see if it works.) I did have to resize the two partitions as the C drive was to large but that was minor. My laptop now boots in 30 seconds and installs and updates are blazing fast. The software Plextor uses is "NTI Echo" and it was simple to use and it works.

Hope this helps someone.