Thanks

something went terribly wrong

hi

i removed the need to log in in xp pro , on next reboot i was faced with a new login window [i think it was to do with the ne router i use], [i clicked ok or whatever as i do not have a password]. then to my disbelieve xp started up and was completely as it appears by default in a new installation, except i still had my programs.

i restored an old mirror image of the disc but want to know what happened and would like to recover my documents too

in user accounts i removed check from "users must enter password etc to use this acct"

also , after the desktop showed i noticed MS outlook was setting something up , i have never used it. i am also using the xp log in box again
    thanks anyone

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Last part first, the system was just setting up the "new" account for first time use because the system didn't find a user profile to use at the time.

First part last, it's a little hard to say without more forensic investigation at the time of the problem. Did you check user accounts and was the one you normally use gone? What happened if you booted in safe mode via the Administrators account? Also what were your exact steps and utility used to remove the login requirement? I don't think it had anything to do with the router but rather was all internal to that system.

A user tip is even if there is only one user, its a good idea to create a second "dummy" user account to be able to access the system in case anything ever happens to corrupt the regularly used account.

Thanks
    to try to correct matters i opened a user acct i thought was my usual one, but after looking just now i see it was wrong. my fault

didnt try safe mode

exact steps were as posted above ...in user accounts i removed check from "users must enter password etc to use this acct". should this work to make password unnecessary?

thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like something was corrupted with the profile when you removed the password, so it loaded a new profile. Before you restored the image the profile may still have been there, just not working at the moment. That can happen once in a great while, probably nothing you did caused it except it messed up making the changes.

A better way to go about not needing a password might be to bring up a Run... windows and type control userpasswords2 into the little window and enter. Then you can select your account and uncheck the part about using a password for that user and enter your password when prompted. Then the password is still in effect but you do not have to use it to log in and Windows will load directly to your desktop.

Thanks
    thats exactly what i typed into run box. then i proceeded as said. bear in mind that as i never had a password i only had to press enter to log in which is what i dont want to have to do [like in last installation of xp]

thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe you found a bug in the system then because I've never used that utility unless there is a password on the user account. At least in your case it seems to have made a big user account fumble.

Thanks
    well i must start a fresh i think....do u or anyone know how i can not have to log in when xp pro boots.

i do not have a password but i do have to press enter [and leave the password field blank]

this has been source of endless trouble

thanks

Thanks
    am abandoning this thread now
    thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Qaz,

Get Sysinternals AutoLogon. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs