New Lounger
    Thanks

Install larger SSD

I have a Sony VPCZ122GX NB Laptop with 126GB SSD. I would like to increase the storage capacity. May I increase it to either 256GB or 512GB and what is the procedure to do so? Thanks Ron Carlson

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Ronald,

The way I would approach this is to use an Image backup program like Macrium reflect.
    1. Take an image of the entire drive to an External USB drive.
    2. Make the CD/DVD or USB key boot media for Macrium or your program of choice.
    3. Change the drives.
    4. Boot from the created media.
    5. Restore the Image to the new drive
    6. Use a Partition Manager (I like EaseUS Partition Master) to either resize the C: drive to include the extra space or create a new partiton/drive.
    7. Done.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

RonaldRCarlson (2014-03-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for your excellent easy to understand reply. Ron Carlson

Thanks
    Found this, I hope it's not applicable here in any way.
    I've never heard of a drive that could not be upgraded.

The hard drive in these notebook computers is not removable and therefore cannot be upgraded. However, an external hard drive or PC card hard drive can be added.
    Maybe you should call them and find out what's what.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-04-04 at 12:34.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

RonaldRCarlson (2014-04-07)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, As you suggested, I contacted Sony Support. They replied that my model notebook is compatible only with Capacity: 128GB (64GB+64GB) Interface: Serial ATA recommended by Sony. Also, the SSD in the notebook cannot be increased to 256GB or 512GB recommended by Sony. So, I cannot increase the SSD size. Thanks to you for the input. Ron Carlson