5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The final countdown for Windows XP support

PATCH WATCH

The final countdown for Windows XP support

By Susan Bradley

With official Microsoft support for XP ending soon, it's important to get the final patches. Plus: Purchasing extended XP support, the usual round of IE and Flash updates, and another big batch of nonsecurity fixes for Win8 and Office.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/the-final-countdown-for-windows-xp-support/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Building your own XP Service Pack 4
    Susan Bradley wrote a very useful Top Story on 1st December, 2011 under the above heading in which she identified 13 hotfixes worth including in your virtual version of SP4.

I now have 400 to 500 hotfixes / patches (essentially the same as hotfixes according to the article) on my PC. Once Microsoft has released it final hotfix and Susan Bradley has had a chance to validate the final batch an update to the above mentioned article would be greatly appreciated.

If Susan or Fred Langa can address whether this new shortlist of hotfixes can be Slipstreamed onto a CD along with SP3 as described by him in a number of articles that too would be most helpful.

Many thanks.
    P.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: The final countdown for Windows XP support

Just wondering if anyone is taking a survey - how many of the public will change to a newer Windows, and how many will instead change to Apple to be done with Microsoft?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems it'll remain largely unchanged. Either there is an abundance of ignorance about what is happening or an abundance of stubbornness and complacency with XP. In the meantime many of these folks may be finding out that Android devices and Apple iOS devices serve a worthy niche but have no interest in switching the home desktop to anything other than XP, or if forced to by attrition, another Windows system.

Thanks
    Who knows, but here's my take...
    The bulk of the 500 million XP systems I suspect are running in corporate environments, where they have been hardened over years of use.
    (they'll upgrade on their own "SWEET TIME", to whatever interest them, as most corps do)
    The bulk of the rest of these systems are either from folks who KNOW computers and have no reason to upgrade.
    (Anybody that has use for a truly powerful computer is NOT staying with Windows XP, and has since gone 64 bit W7/8/8.1, or MAC)
    The 3rd category are by those who are waiting in the wings for the need to buy a new desktop.

I suspect many in the 3rd category have long since purchased tablets and smartphones that do all the simple things they need done and have merely
    retained their XP systems for what they currently can't do via the small devices.
    (There are many who perceive their systems as working and don't feel a need to buy a new computer)

I don't anticipate a huge exodus to MAC/Chrome, or Linux, and that the mass sentiment in favor of XP is just largely whining
    based around Microsoft's heavy handedness with regard to the making of Windows 8.

Windows 7 is the logical upgrade path from XP, but even the detractors whine about that.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-13 at 13:49.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Read in the Patch Alert about MS14-014 (2932677) for Silverlight, and was keen to possibility of fixing my connection to Netflix. Well....It didn't work, so guess this patch still has problems. Netflix still wants me to install Silverlight, which, upon going through the install hoops, is already installed. This is all on Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, with IE 11. Sigh! Meanwhile, Google Chrome has no problem with Netflix. Go Figure.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    does anyone know if Microsoft will still have the XP service packs available on line after XP dies? In case one wants to make a new clean install of XP..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webber77 View Post
    does anyone know if Microsoft will still have the XP service packs available on line after XP dies? In case one wants to make a new clean install of XP..
    I wouldn't count on it. I would download what I need and copy to a CD or DVD.

Joe

Thanks
    I would follow Joe's advice but there will probably be several third party sites that will have them just like there are for Win 98.

Jerry