New Lounger
    Thanks

SubForm Chaos in 2000

In Access 2000, subforms and subreports show on their respective parent containers in edit mode. Seeing all the sections and objects jumbled togther is horribly complicated on any form or report with more than just a single parent/child format. Is there any way I can get the display of subforms and subreports to be as simple as they were in Access 97 and before?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SubForm Chaos in 2000

Why bother? In Access 97, you still had to open the subform to edit it (although you could do that by double-clicking). I agree, it is visually annoying, but I've gotten used to it. I read somewhere a method for changing it back to the 97 behavior, but I'll be darned if I remember where; and the only thing that annoys me is that I can't edit both the form and subform at the same time in their own windows.
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

following is from Woodys access watch 2.13 - sounds like what you want

Q: Alan Hawkins wrote: With earlier versions than Access 2000, you could double-click on a region and "drill-down" to the sub form, edit it and then return to the main form. Trying to edit a sub form in the window of the main form is very awkward

PatriciaWilliams

Tack on note for Access 97 users:
    We found to our horror recently that, if you double-click on a subform to open it for editing in Access 97, the master-child joining fields can change to something entirely different than you had planned. It's a rotten behavior -- which, from the KB, does not look like it's been corrected yet. Perhaps, that is why Microsoft chose to display the subforms in edit mode in 2000, to prevent one from double-clicking ...... -- Pat

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's interesting. I never experienced that behavior with 97.
    Charlotte

PatriciaWilliams

Yes -- although it only seems to affect subforms created with the wizard -- at least, that's my interpretation (which may not be right). Check out KB article Q171177. The last update on this article is Nov 2000, and it still hasn't been fixed, apparently. It won't affect you if the default master-child fields selected (by the wizard) to join the two forms are the ones you want to use.
    -- thx, Pat

DaveShmave

Has anyone figured out specifically how to load this add-in? When I unzipped the file it shows a dll file and a txt file. The txt file hasn't been all that helpful in describing how to install the add-in.

Maybe someone a little more knowledgeable can figure this out. And yes, I do have the VB6 runtime files.

TIA

Dave [img]/w3timages/icons/spook.gif[/img]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't used it, but the instructions seem pretty clear:
    <hr>To run this add-in, you must register it using regsvr32.exe.<hr>
    What kind of problem are you having?
    Charlotte

DaveShmave

Never mind! I made a bigger deal out of this than I needed to.

I agree with something you said in a previous post ("I agree, it is visually annoying, but I've gotten used to it.").

I think it's just a matter of me getting use to this minor change and some other minor changes in Access 2000. After posting my question I played around with a subform and then tried to close the main form it asked if I wanted to save changes to either the main and/or subform. This is a cool little change which seems to address the issue for me.

Thanks for the response.

Dave