5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Transfer Win Live Mail to Thunderbird on Win8.1

I need to move some of my wife's saved mail messages from her WinXP PC running Windows Live Mail to Thunderbird in her new Win8.1 laptop. I have two related questions:

1. Where are the messages stored on Windows Live Mail?

2. What is the best way to make this transfer? I'm going to move only about half of the message folders so I need to figure out some way to accomplish that too.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    An easy way to make the transfer from any mail program to any other mail program is to set up the account as IMAP in both programs, then move the saved mail messages into one of the IMAP folders on the XP computer. It will be automatically downloaded to the same IMAP folder on the 8.1 computer.

If she has a lot of email, you could move a little bit at a time on the XP computer; then, on the 8.1 computer, move it to local (non-IMAP) folders after it shows up there in the IMAP folder. In this way, you won't max out her mailbox.

Thanks
    Obviously, this only works if the mail server supports IMAP. Comcast's Email server doesn't as one example.

Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2014-03-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, I think that is a great idea! The new Win8.1 laptop will be using IMAP anyway.

Jerry, FastMail.fm does support IMAP so that is not a problem.

Thanks to both of you.
    Bill

Thanks
    There is a work around if the email provider doesn't support IMAP. Create another email account with a provider which does support IMAP. Set up that account as an IMAP account on both computers. Use that account to move your email from one computer to the other.

Thanks
    My primary email account is IMAP. It has really been handy when I have needed to set up my email on another computer. All of my email in the IMAP account is automatically downloaded to the new computer; I don't have to do a thing.