Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

problem in uninstalling

I am trying to uninstall a [several] programs that have 'appeared' in my programs. I have a Dell computer that was bought probably in 2008. It came with Vista installed, which I could not work with, so I installed an older version of XP on. Then last year in January, I installed a Windows 8 on.
    Now I have made a few changes since then also. But now I am wanting to get rid of some programs that have 'appeared' from the wild blue.
    I go to control panel and then on to 'uninstall'. I see 6 programs installed. Now, I do know that there are more than that on my computer, but I don't know what to do about it. Does anyone know what I can do, other than a complete wipe out and reinstall of win 8?

Thanks
    I do have a 'few' pictures and some music that I recorded [from our church] so they are irreplaceable.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Moved to the more appropriate Windows 8 Forum.

What is the name of one of the programs istalled that doesn't show up in Control Panel > Programs and Features?

Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-03-13)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Ann View Post
    I do have a 'few' pictures and some music that I recorded [from our church] so they are irreplaceable.
    Before you do anything backup those "irreplaceable" files - better yet make an image of your hard drive.

Rich

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-03-13)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Programs that appear "out of the blue" tend to be Potentially Unwanted Programs that have been bundled with other programs you have downloaded without checking to see what else was going to be included in the download.

While some are usually benign in their own right, they can be utilized to aid infections.

While you should back up your "irreplaceable" files, it would be unwise to create a system image as it would include those PuPs if that is what they are.

You can use the Restore option in Win 8 to take the computer back to before these programs appeared http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...-in-windows-8/ or use AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool to see if they are PuPs and then see what is still listed in Control Panel after the clean.

There's a link for JRT lower down on the AdwCleaner page that you can use to download/run that program.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-13 at 08:37.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-03-13)

Lounger
    Thanks
    For starters I have 9 web browsers installed. Then I have AVG antivirus, one of the free office versions. And then I have Neat scanner.
    These are some of the things I have that should show up on the panel. Also one game of Peggle, that I have had for years [from Yahoo.com]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    Before you do anything backup those "irreplaceable" files - better yet make an image of your hard drive.

Rich
    How do I do the image?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Programs that appear "out of the blue" tend to be Potentially Unwanted Programs that have been bundled with other programs you have downloaded without checking to see what else was going to be included in the download.

While some are usually benign in their own right, they can be utilized to aid infections.

While you should back up your "irreplaceable" files, it would be unwise to create a system image as it would include those PuPs if that is what they are.

You can use the Restore option in Win 8 to take the computer back to before these programs appeared http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...-in-windows-8/ or use AdwCleaner and Junkware Removal Tool to see if they are PuPs and then see what is still listed in Control Panel after the clean.

There's a link for JRT lower down on the AdwCleaner page that you can use to download/run that program.
    I have run the 'restore' option several times, but it always came up with a reason that it couldn't restore.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have run the 'restore' option several times, but it always came up with a reason that it couldn't restore.
    Junkware Removal Tool to see if they are PuPs and then see what is still listed in Control Panel after the clean.

This does not have an option for Win 8

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    JRT is Win 8 compatible http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...-removal-tool/ but what are the error messages you are getting on the Restore fail ?

Infections or your AV program can interfere with a Restore so try it again in Safe Mode.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-03-15)

Thanks
    Reboot the computer into Safe Mode with Networking -- I believe if you hold your shift key down while restarting, it will bring up the menu for Safe Mode with Networking.

Once you have logged into Safe Mode with Networking, go to www.trendmicro.com. Look near the bottom left of the screen for a link to "free antivirus tools". Click on that link.

Download, install, and run Housecall. Do a "Full" scan.

It is preferable to be in Safe Mode rather than in normal Windows mode when scanning a possibly infected machine.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-03-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Reboot the computer into Safe Mode with Networking -- I believe if you hold your shift key down while restarting, it will bring up the menu for Safe Mode with Networking.

Once you have logged into Safe Mode with Networking, go to www.trendmicro.com. Look near the bottom left of the screen for a link to "free antivirus tools". Click on that link.

Download, install, and run Housecall. Do a "Full" scan.

It is preferable to be in Safe Mode rather than in normal Windows mode when scanning a possibly infected machine.
    I have finally got ready to do this:
    Now I cannot get it to turn on in safe mode. It goes to the screen where I have to put in my password every time. Then I have to release the 'shift' key to put in the password. Then it just boots up to my desktop in regular mode.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Shift only needs to be held down while you click Restart from the sign-in screen power icon: Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

Bruce

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-03-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Shift only needs to be held down while you click Restart from the sign-in screen power icon: Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode)

Bruce
    ok, I did that and it wanted me to put a 'disc' that had a system copy on it.
    But it did not give me an option to get on the 'net.
    Either do this or continue on to restart win 8 or turn off computer
    I tried to put in the win 8 pro disc that I installed on this computer

not work.
    then I tried to put the disc in that says Win 8 32 bit repair disc, but it wouldn't take that one either.
    I also have the operating system disc that came with the computer. It is a re-installation dvd. for Windows Vista home premium 32 bit sp1
    Last edited by Betty Ann; 2014-03-15 at 17:04.

Lounger
    Thanks
    ok, I did that and it wanted me to put a 'disc' that had a system copy on it.
    But it did not give me an option to get on the 'net.
    Either do this or continue on to restart win 8 or turn off computer
    I tried to put in the win 8 pro disc that I installed on this computer

not work.
    then I tried to put the disc in that says Win 8 32 bit repair disc, but it wouldn't take that one either.
    I also have the operating system disc that came with the computer. It is a re-installation dvd. for Windows Vista home premium 32 bit sp1
    don't really want to put Vista back on,

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Reboot and sign in normally and try the method in Jim's tutorial link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IE/w...ding-safe-mode to access Safe Mode with or without Networking that way and then see if you can use this method to try the restore points http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...fresh-reset-pc which you shouldn't need a disk for.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-03-15)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast