Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty Ann View Post
    That worked but now, most of them are back. And I haven't done anything else. I mean that I haven't added anything else on here. Am I ready to completely wipe it and re-install everything? Except the bad guys, of course!
    Or is there something else that I haven't tried, that might work?

I really appreciate the help that you guy's have given to me.
    Would Firefox ---the browser have anything to do with my problems.
    Now I do like firefox, but it seems that most times that I am having problems firefox opens automatically and it has some of those things on it that I am trying to get rid of.

Sure seems suspicious.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The reinstall maybe the only option unless you wanted to go through a disinfection regime with a security expert either on here or another forum and that can be quite involved.

The browsers have definitely been hijacked and you could have a Trojan on there for them to be this persistent as the scanners that you have used would normally have dealt with those, but having said that, having recently run those same tools, I had to restore with an external system image when a PuP refused to go that had evaded the opt out and those tools.

You could try uninstalling Firefox, but these sort of things tend to migrate across browsers, but give that a try first before the reinstall.

The free version of Revo with its deep clean will get rid of that and you could try Revo on any of those PuPs that may be listed in Programs & Features (or Win 8's equivalent) or you could try the free trial of the Pro version which is more effective as it can pick out 64 bit based programs as well.

After the reinstall it would be prudent to create regular system images either to disk or an external HDD so that a recovery will be less severe.

If you use an external HDD, ensure that your system is okay as it will overwrite the existing image as you create others.

You can back up your personal files to external media before the reinstall.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-17 at 05:32.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-03-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just now read this. Thanks so much for helping me in this problem.
    Now, as I have just downloaded the program that you suggested, Revo, I noticed that Firefox is not listed as being installed on my computer, so it cannot delete it. Also there are only three browsers that are listed that are on my computer. These are Cool Nova, Pale Moon and Google Chrome, and also there is listed above [in the New installations] Opera. I have five other browsers that are not listed. the ones that I have that are not listed are Firefox, Comodo dragon, Comodo Ice Dragon, Srware Iron, and Avante browsers. Also I have had Opera browser for a long time on my computer. Why would it just now show as being just recently installed?
    I did get the Revo Pro version. I cannot understand why it did not show any of these browsers. Suppose that the viruses have 'migrated' to these other browsers like you said?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    While I don't know about the other browsers, Firefox is a 32 bit browser and should have been picked by either version of Revo.

I use Iobit Uninstaller which is a freebie and picks up every program that I have installed.

When you are looking for Firefox in the list, are you looking for Firefox or Mozilla Firefox which should be together with Maintenance, although that wouldn't answer why the other browsers are missing.

After you have selected Uninstall and that has completed, click on the Powerful Clean button and the File Shredder option to check for any residue.

Has there been a recent upgrade for Opera as my Firefox is showing as installed 18/03/2014 because of its upgrade to v28.0.

Do the remaining browsers that you have listed work normally or can you check their add-ons ?

Given that those items came back after running SAS then I think an reinstall of Win 8 would be best as I think you are prompted for an install disk to use the built in options.

How did you upgrade to Win 8 - if it was an online download then you may need to contact Microsoft.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-04-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the Jobit uninstaller. It shows that I have Google Chrome, Cool Novo, Opera, and Pale Moon installed on my computer. Also it shows that I have AVG 2014, Super Antispyware, Revo uninstaller Pro, Smart PC Cleaner, Adobe Flash player 12 Plugin, 7-Zip 9.20, and Microsoft Sql Server Compact 3.5SP2 ENU. That is all that it shows. It does not show Mozilla Firefox, or Comodo Ice Dragon, or Comodo Dragon, or SRWare Iron, or the Avante Browsers. I also have the neat desktop system, and I have the Libre Office system installed. Should it not show them also?

None of the things it shows to be installed, I think needs to be uninstalled. So I don't know what to do.
    Also I got out my disc that I had installed my windows 8 from, and it would not recognize that I had installed windows 8 from it. I also tried my recovery disc that I had made, and it wouldn't work either. [I am not sure when the recovery disc was made.]

Lounger
    Thanks

Problem in uninstalling

I think I did recently up-grade the Opera browser. I know I did recently up-grade my lap-top Opera browser.
    My other browsers that are not listed do crash a lot, but otherwise, they run fine.
    As for the Win 8, I don't remember if I downloaded it, but I did get the disc, in case I needed to re-install it. But it won't work,
    Really appreciate you people for trying to help me in this.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know why either uninstaller is failing to recognize those programs and rather than Refresh Win 8.0, it will probably be better to Reset it after backing up any personal files and then reinstall the browsers/programs afterwards. http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/ever...-windows-8-pc/

As a safeguard to your Win 8.0 disk not working, you can create your own bootable disk before going through the Reset procedure http://www.howtogeek.com/178487/how-...d-usb-legally/
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-04-08 at 03:21.

Thanks
    Betty Ann, here is another Windows Secrets thread which gives lots of helpful info about accessing Safe Mode:

https://windowssecrets.com/forums/sh...0631-safe-mode

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-04-26)

Thanks
    This has probably already been said, but a pre-Windows virus scan can often catch stuff which is buried deep into Windows and which is therefore difficult or impossible to remove with a normal scanner.

An easy one to use is Windows Defender Offline. Go to a computer you know is virus-free, then go to the website (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...fender-offline), put in a CD, select 32-bit or 64-bit (to match your version of Windows), and let it create a scanning CD.

You then go to the computer in question and boot from the CD you just made. Let it do a full scan. It will take a while, but let it run to completion.

WDO is not the best software out there, but it is very easy to use, and it is free. And I have used it to get the PC clean enough to then use some other program to finish the job.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2014-04-08 at 10:40.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Betty Ann (2014-04-26)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I have taken so long to get back with you, [have been in hosp, + complications]. I will try this as soon as I can get to one that I know is virus free, [Possible to use the Library computers, don't think they will be infected].
    Thanks again.

Hopefully I can get this straightened out soon and quit bothering you nice people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123