Star Lounger
    Thanks

Forced upgrade from 8.1

I had to read this twice before I realized that I can survive:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rtner=yahootix

The link says that if you have 8.1 you upgrade to 8.1.1 or you will be in the same non-supported mode as XP.

I tried 8.1 almost as soon as it was released. It caused a lot of problems: some apps would not run; I had a nasty mouse delay and the MS fix didn't work; and my browsers had frequent problems connecting to some sites. I gave it a good shot, but finally realized that all of the problems would go away, if I simply restored my last 8.0 image. I did. Everything works well for me under 8.0.

As I understand it, I can continue to use 8.0 with MS support. If this is not correct, someone please let me know.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    As I understand it, I can continue to use 8.0 with MS support.
    That's correct. But only for another 21 months, not the next 9 years:

With the General Availability of Windows 8.1, customers on Windows 8 have 2 years, until January 12, 2016, to move to Windows 8.1 in order to remain supported.

Windows 8.1 Support Lifecycle Policy FAQ

Bruce

Thanks
    Not all updates are going to be problem free as we are already seeing and have long known.
    Sometimes a clean install is the best option.

I know this first hand because I too have had issues with the original 8.1 update which were
    resolved with a dreaded and lengthy clean install.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I hope that MS will get 8.1 running properly before I am forced to try it again. My guess is that somehow my Gigabyte mobo does not get along with 8.1. There is some chance that I could update the mobo firmware and resolve some of the problems. I had a lot of trouble with my prior build (Asrock mobo) and Windows 7. When I finally updated the firmware, the problems completely vanished.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe a number of motherboard makers updated their firmware to better support Windows 8. I have an ASUS Sabretooth board and there have been at two BIOS updates for Windows 8.x.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jazz - I think I will try the firmware update. As I recall, the process is more or less automated with the newer boards.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    I had to read this twice before I realized that I can survive:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...rtner=yahootix

The link says that if you have 8.1 you upgrade to 8.1.1 or you will be in the same non-supported mode as XP.

I tried 8.1 almost as soon as it was released. It caused a lot of problems: some apps would not run; I had a nasty mouse delay and the MS fix didn't work; and my browsers had frequent problems connecting to some sites. I gave it a good shot, but finally realized that all of the problems would go away, if I simply restored my last 8.0 image. I did. Everything works well for me under 8.0.

As I understand it, I can continue to use 8.0 with MS support. If this is not correct, someone please let me know.
    Windows 9 should be available (rumors are April 2015), before you stop getting updates to Windows 8.0

Of course, that raises the question, will you like Windows 9 better than you like Windows 8.0?

We'll all have to wait and see.