New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Further to onging use of Win XP

As an IT technician I have been progressively migrating my customers to Windows 7 (my over 55s are not too keen on 8 or 8.1). Some however are wishing to continue using XP due to financial reasons and the instructions and comments here have been very helpful.

There are however a few who want to retain XP for the long haul offline, i.e. not connected to the Internet and running legacy software. These users, in the past, have used much older OS's like ME and 98 successfully offline now for many years, providing the necessary physical isolation when using removable media to remain secure.

My questions are:

Has anyone looked into the best XP configuration (SP's, Updates etc) for offline (non-internet) use with physical isolation providing the primary protection against infection?

What is the best SP?

Which updates are best left out to get the best mix of performance and reliability?

Is it best to do a clean install or reduce a working install to requirements?

Is an antivirus required noting above physical isolation and which antivirus is best noting that it will probably never be updated?

Is there any performance or usability reason why the original release of XP would not give outstanding performance on PC's upgraded to run SP3 and all recent updates?

Thank you
    Ken
    Australia

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    IMO, you're better off with SP-3 and all the updates you can install. Don't worry about trying to identify which fixes will be for networking only. If the machine currently runs XP well it will continue to run well with all the fixes. I would not run anything other than SP-3 with all fixes beyond it.

Joe

Thanks
    I agree with Joe, and to go further, if I were in your shoes, I might consider making a full drive image of the clients computer
    for future use by you for your customer.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you need sp3

i think you can for a while dl a copy of it to burn a cdrom for use in installing

then just keep it off the net
    and kill your antivirus etc as they wont be needed any longer
    the speed up is aaamazing

yes, we are still running win98se that way
    and they are as fast at the xp systems with antivirus etc running on xp

Quote Originally Posted by k-farlow View Post
    As an IT technician I have been progressively migrating my customers to Windows 7 (my over 55s are not too keen on 8 or 8.1). Some however are wishing to continue using XP due to financial reasons and the instructions and comments here have been very helpful.

There are however a few who want to retain XP for the long haul offline, i.e. not connected to the Internet and running legacy software. These users, in the past, have used much older OS's like ME and 98 successfully offline now for many years, providing the necessary physical isolation when using removable media to remain secure.

My questions are:

Has anyone looked into the best XP configuration (SP's, Updates etc) for offline (non-internet) use with physical isolation providing the primary protection against infection?

What is the best SP?

Which updates are best left out to get the best mix of performance and reliability?

Is it best to do a clean install or reduce a working install to requirements?

Is an antivirus required noting above physical isolation and which antivirus is best noting that it will probably never be updated?

Is there any performance or usability reason why the original release of XP would not give outstanding performance on PC's upgraded to run SP3 and all recent updates?

Thank you
    Ken
    Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by k-farlow View Post

Australia
    Yes, there is all sorts of hardware and capacities now that XP original would not understand and would in fact blue screen constantly on, so I would say SP3 minimum and most if not all the .net updates, depending again on what programs are to be run on these systems which require them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Great question!

Let see what this group thinks
    ref these 2 points (below),
    to keep an XP box stand-alone, secure
    and totally & permanently OFF the internet,
    after April 2014.

btw: we have no programs (ie: MS-Office, etc),
    needing updates after April 2014 .

In all our XP pcs,
    we plan to do these 2 things:

1) Disable Web browsing in IE & Firefox:

After support ends next April, consider reconfiguring Windows XP to block its access to the Internet. (Remember: You’ll no longer need IE or Windows Update for system updates from Microsoft).

To do so,
    - open IE, go to Tools/Internet Options, and then click on Connections.
    - Click the LAN settings button and then check the “Use a proxy server …” box.
    - Next, enter: 0.0.0.0 into the Address box
    and 80 in Port box.
    - Finally, check the “Bypass proxy server for local addresses” box. Click OK.

Hope somebody posts
    how to do this same thing
    in the FIREFOX browser ?...

2) Lock the Firewall Internet Connection

We happen to have the ZoneAlarm Firewall v. 7.0.483.000:
    (an old but reliable version f/XP - your firewall should have similar options):

- Open the Firewall UI to see these 2 options: STOP and LOCK.
    - Hit Ctrl-S to immediately "STOP all Internet Activity".
    - Hit Ctrl-L to permanently "LOCK all Internet Activity" for any prgms under XP.

Q to Group:
    ....Do the above 2 suggestions make sense?
    ....Any other good suggestions/options
    to ISOLATE XP from the Internet ?
    (ie: Cut off all IN / OUT Connections in an XP box,
    after April '14 ?).

SF99
    Last edited by SF99; 2014-03-13 at 15:51.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You may need to access Microsoft Update if you have products installed that are still supported such as Office 2007. Toggling settings back and forth will be an invitation for problems.

Best choice is get off XP.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank You all for the replies.

I have decided to take a sort of middle road so here is how I configured it.

1. Clean install of XP SP3.
    2. Latest drivers from Manufacturer's web page
    3. No updates. Because the customer's software is old anyway.
    4. LAN port disabled in BIOS.
    5. No antivirus.

And yes I created an image on DVD.

Spec.
    PIV 3GHz
    2.5GB RAM
    80GB Seagate Barracuda SATA
    NVIDIA GE Force G210

Clean, simple and it runs sweet as a nut.
    Ken
    p.s. Now if we could deep six all the malware writers/hackers etc. wouldn't the world be a simpler place.