Thread: Is this legit?

Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Is this legit?

I have a popup from http://ca.java-updating.com/k210sbpgb6r1usko2sh7psjcp5
    stating that it is a Free Java Security Update (Ver 7, Update 21) that is *Required*

It isn't kidding! I can not remove the above from my desktop. Clicking delete ("X" at upper right) brings up an info screen "Warning from webpage...your current browser is outdated... a critical security update has been released and you are required to update your Jave Player. This page will automatically close once the security update has been installed." If I click on "OK" another popup with the choice of "Leave this page" or "Stay on this page". Regardless of which one I choose, it recycles back to the original message. It is impossible to remove the message (short of Task Manager).

While the screen looks "Oracle-y" this aggressive action raises all kinds of suspicion for me.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Yes, I've come across something similar too. It's not legitimate, but it appears to be largely benign.
    If not for the hassle of having to close down the entire browser via task manager, as you say.

It's very similar to fake FBI warnings that would occur on occasion with a browser tab redirect.
    I've encountered this several times and have come to the conclusion, after AM/AV scans that it is benign;

a3.jpg

The above, I believe, is not an issue with the user's computer, or even browser, but more like an issue with specific websites.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-13 at 09:12.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Time to run a malware scan. I recommend Malwarebytes http://https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the clue is in the Update - we are now on Update 51 since Jan. this year.

I just get a blank page when clicking on your link, but all Java updates should only be downloaded from www.java.com and is much different to that URL.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the instantaneous replies!

Thanks
    The subsequent question is whether you actually need to have Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installed on your computer at all? It is generally regarded as a security risk (as are many other attacked programs!).

There seem to be very few programs which need it (like LibreOffice / Open Office, currently), so if you are unsure, why not download a new copy of JRE and have it waiting, then uninstall JRE from your computer. If a program objects to the absence of JRE, just reinstall it.
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many sites still use java script which is an entirely different animal. Most things do not require Java itself.