New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Windows explorer slow sort

I've got a Windows 7 SP1 Dell Optiplex 9010 w/ 2 drives configured in raid 0, 16GB memory. I'm got one issue that is really bugging me... In the last month or so i've noticed extremely slow sorting times (over 30 seconds !!!) in windows eplorer when i click on the date/time column of explorer. This is in a directory with only 623 items. I don't use windows indexing, never have. this is something that has always been nearly instantaneous. After taking 30 seconds the first time, the sorting on any column speeds up to regular speeds. If i come back to the dialog the next day (without closing the window, just minimizing it), the situation repeats itself.

This is on the local drives, not network.

This was never an issue w/ XP, and i don't remember it being an issue when i first got this machine.

Wondering if anyone has any clues...

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Re-initiate Windows search, but curtail it just to the OS's primary drive.
    The Windows 7 search is far better (more efficient) than in the nasty old days of the default XP search, and should take very little
    away in terms of performance from the description of your hardware spec.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bwolfsohn (2014-03-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i'm trying the search as per your instructions. I'm noticing some effects on my usage... i'll keep you posted after a few days on how it went... it seems to have solved the problem i originally refered to.. i'm just not sure about the "cost"...

I use this machine for development, and am noticing most operations are slower, but not by much.. (so far)..

thanks..
    Last edited by bwolfsohn; 2014-03-14 at 11:32. Reason: spelling

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it's been a few days now, I've had search on, and the original problem in explorer still exists.. So, i'm going to turn indexing back off and see if i notice a performance increase in my development process..