3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading from Outlook Express

I'm running Outlook Express on Windows XP. I plan to purchase a new pc with Windows 8 soon.

Did MS make a version of Outlook Express for the new Windows?
    If not, what's a good alternative?
    Is there an app that can read the Outlook Express messages and Address Book? I'll need to find a way to get most of my email and all of my contacts into a new app.

Or maybe I should just ask, What's my best upgrade path?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Microsoft now uses Outlook.com, You can of course use one of the many free email clents such as Thunderbird. If you decide to use Thunderbird then this article explains how to import Outlook Express mail and address book.
    http://support.real-time.com/tbird/oe_import.html

Thanks
    Actually, Microsoft's upgrade path from Outlook Express is Windows Live Mail which includes the facility to import Email Messages and Contacts from Outlook Express.

Jerry

Thanks
    Live Mail and Outlook.com are essentially the same thing. If you log into http://mail.live.com/ or http://www.outlook.com/ using the same Microsoft ID, you should see the same mailbox, but possibly with a different user interface but yes the actual upgrade path is WLM.

Thanks
    There is a Windows Live Mail desktop email client that replaces Outlook Express. You are correct that livemail.com and outlook.com get you to the same web server. Hotmail.com and msn.com also use the same web server. Your Microsoft account login works on all of them.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you don't care about using a Metro app, there is a built-in mail client with Windows 8/8.1 which is pretty good.

Joe

Thanks
    Except the Metro Mail App doesn't support POP Email.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook Express was discontinued when Vista came out which had the Windows Mail program/E-Mail Client. Windows 7 had no such E-Mail Client but a number of 'brands' included the free suite of Windows Essentials on new computers.

Windows Essential includes several applications such as Windows Live Mail. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ive/essentials

It seems Microsoft is stuck on using similar names for similar programs such as Outlook Express, Outlook and Outlook.com, even Works and Works Suite. Outlook.com replaces Hotmail.com although @hotmail.com is still a usable E-Mail address.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently did the same thing on my home machine, shared with my wife. My choice was Outlook that is included in the Microsoft Office Professional Suite. We are both familiar with this client because we use it at work. I was able to import all our Outlook Express messages and folders into Outlook. This worked very well. Procedure instructions (multiple versions) were available with a web search. Don't believe the statements that you cannot convert Outlook Express to Outlook without buying software. While this is technically true, creating an Outlook account, then importing from Outlook Express accomplished the same thing. The only cost would be the Microsoft Office Professional Suite, but we were using that already.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've done the same when setting up/changing computers, just have to be careful to get all the .dbx files for messages and the .wab file for the Windows Address Book which can also be imported to Outlook's Contacts. I save the files to an Outlook Express Folder on a thumb/flash drive.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus16a View Post
    I'm running Outlook Express on Windows XP. I plan to purchase a new pc with Windows 8 soon.
    I had the same problem after buying a new Win 8 PC.

After trying 3 or 4 email clients, I settled on Thunderbird as the best of a poor bunch, but it's not as convenient to use as OE, or Windows Mail which my wife had, but doesn't work with W8. The great irritation with Thunderbird is the delete button, placed on the right hand side of the screen, and varies between the top or bottom, depending on whether one is deleting straight from the In Box or after reading an email. OE had it in the ideal spot. Also it took me quite a while to find out how to empty the deleted folder. HTH

PS. Another PITA is that every time after deleting a message a pop up asks to compact all messages, evern when the deleted folder is empty, and I never have more than 15 - 20 messages in the In Box.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2014-03-21 at 09:49.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Compacting Messages was quite prevalent in Outlook Express. The issue is that the files [same name/s as the Folders] containing messages are allowed to grow as messages are added but do not automatically shrink when messages are deleted, leads to having to compact them periodically. Even though the Folder you see is empty the file of the same name hasn't shrunk until it has been compacted. Defragmention of the HDD/Hard Disk Drive does not change the size of files whether empty or containing data, merely moves the parts of them closer together.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If your not a power user of all the features in Outlook Express.. check out Outlook Express Classic at oeclassic.com. This is NOT a Microsoft product but a nice easy to use email reader program. You can import your OE mail, contacts, and even the account settings right in. Sets up everything from the import features. It is still a work in progress and the developer is adding improvement all the time. You can install the Free version and it tags your sent mail with a line saying the mail was sent using their product or you can pay 25 bucks and that will drop the advertisement. I think it as talked about in Windows Secrets previously