Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange email rejection

This is strange. I have Thunderbird on two computers. On one computer, when I send an email message to my friend, it gets returned to me. She doesn't get it. She has no other problems getting emails.

When I send her an email from my other computer, no problem whatsoever.

I have no other email problems on either computer.

Any ideas

The returned message says:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Your message was not delivered because the return address was refused.

The return address was "<my correct email address is listed>"

Reporting-MTA: dns; que51.charter.net
    Arrival-Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2014 14:37:10 -0400
    Received-From-MTA: dns; imp11 (10.20.200.11)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; <her correct address is listed here>
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; mx4.hotmail.com (65.55.92.168)
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 SC-002 (SNT0-MC3-F52) Unfortunately, messages from 209.225.8.25 weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our block list. You can also refer your provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    The message indicates that your ISP mail server may be blacklisted. Are you using the same server, while sending the emails, in both computers?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the SMTP servers in Thunderbird. (Which is what ruirib said.)

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, the servers are different.

One computer (the working one) has the old pop server (pop.charter.net)

The other one (that is giving me the problem) says IMAP mail server. (mobile.charter.net).

I am really hesitant to change any settings, since everything is working except for this one person (her email is at msn.net).

Ideas?

Mel

Thanks
    I think the only choice you have is to either make the change, or send emails to your friend from the "pop" computer.

Either that, or use webmail to send email to your friend. Hopefully this won't be a problem when you use webmail.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But is the problem at her end or mine .

I wonder if my ISP (or hers) would help.

I tried it from the Charter site and that sent email went through

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    No, the problem is neither at your end or at the end of your friend. What it seems is that mobile.charter.net is blacklisted, so your friend's email server is checking the sending server and determines it is blacklisted, and it rejects the email.

The proper solution for this is to inform your provider about it and have them contact the blacklist maintainer, to have the server mobile.charter.net removed from the blacklist. All blacklists provide mechanisms for this but the request should be done by the server owner.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Strange. I might add that we have used this setup for years without issues

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    Strange. I might add that we have used this setup for years without issues

Mel
    It's not strange at all. Spam is a major issue for anyone maintaining mail servers and blacklists help diminishing spam. All that's need is a user, any user, spamming from any given server to get that server on a blacklist.That will cause some emails sent through such server to be rejected by receiving servers that rely on the blacklist where the sending server is listed.

It is up to mail server owners to ensure their servers users do not spam.

As I said before, you should report this to your ISP. It is their responsibility to ensure their email servers can be used without these issues. There is no doubt that more people will be affected by this and the ISP can only solve it if they know their server is blacklisted.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I think the only choice you have is to either make the change, or send emails to your friend from the "pop" computer.

Either that, or use webmail to send email to your friend. Hopefully this won't be a problem when you use webmail.
    Using webmail won't make a difference, if the sending server is the same. If it is not, then it will solve it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui:

Webmail works. Guess it is a different server.

Mel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui:

As a follow-up, I sent an email to myself from the Charter website. I looked at the header. The only thing remotely resembling a server is:

que41.charter.net and enhanced.charter.net.
    But I'm not sure if one of these is the server

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    To determine the server in question, you need to look at the returned error message. It normally includes the IP being blacklisted and you can confirm whether it is a charter IP or not (that's easy to do). You can then inform Charter, but you can also simply forward the error message and Charter support should do the rest.

Unfortunately this happens quite a lot. A few weeks ago someone was nasty enough about an email service a company I do work for was providing -and I mean nasty. Turns out it was the complainer email service (the complainer was complaining about a service provided to one of their customers) that was at fault - their ISP email server was blacklisted, which caused their emails to their customer being rejected by the customer email service. The irony didn't fall well with them, I fear .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Star Lounger E Pericoloso Sporgersi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    One computer (the working one) has the old pop server (pop.charter.net)

The other one (that is giving me the problem) says IMAP mail server. (mobile.charter.net).

I am really hesitant to change any settings, since everything is working except for this one person
    You don't have to change any settings.

On the affected computer, ADD a Thunderbird E-mail account which uses your old pop server. (That new account must have a name different from the existing accounts.) The settings of your other Thunderbird accounts remain untouched, even if you subsequently remove the newly added account.

Though Thunderball starts a new outgoing message with the default account, you can easily switch to a different account before, during or after composing, or immediately before sending. Just don't forget to switch before you hit the [Send] button.

Of course this doesn't correct a remote erroneous blacklist, but it's a useful local workaround.
    Last edited by E Pericoloso Sporgersi; 2014-03-20 at 06:49.
    E Pericoloso Sporgersi
    "It is Dangerous to Lean Out! [of Windows]"

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Note: you receive mail via pop or imap, you send mail via smtp. You need to look at that part of your email account setup (the server you're sending mail to) and that's where you are likely to find the difference. If you're receiving mail properly there is no need to change the incoming mail settings.
    We don't have full information but here's another tack: the problem may be that the your outbound server in the failing account is refusing the post, that is it isn't getting past your first connection and it may be a typo in your outbound (smtp) server hostname, or it may be that the outbound server you're using doesn't think the email address of the sending user (or the reply-to if you're using that - generally not a good idea) is valid for that service. Many ISP's will not allow you to send mail as a user that is not a valid email account on their service.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast