Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't find the rejected IP on any standard blocklists. (I use dnsbl.info.) Unfortunately, Live Mail/Hotmail seems to have its very own internal blocklist.

This should help:

http://www.rackaid.com/blog/hotmail-blacklist-removal/

Lounger
    Thanks
    It is definitely the case that larger, more sophisticated ISPs maintain their own blacklists.

I've been with 1and1.com for many years. Periodically, I found all email to recipients at particular domains (eg., msn.com, comcast.com) being rejected. 1and1.com, being a major provider, frequently finds itself hosting spammers, and when outfits like MSN and Comcast detect large amounts of spam coming from 1and1.com IP addresses, they start rejecting all emails from those IPs. This is regardless of whether those addresses also appear on DNS blacklists. 1and1.com then has to negotiate with those outfits to get email service restored.

In recent years this became a really serious problem for me. So as much as I loved 1and1.com's service, features and prices, I switched one of my main accounts over to Microsoft's Office 365 service as a test. After a month of flawless operation, I switched over the rest. Pains me to say anything nice about Microsoft, but this solved the problem, as well as some others, completely. (At least once I got past the setup process, which was so difficult and confusing it was almost funny.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I missed it, but I don't recall seeing that the OP actually telephoned Charter to report the problem to a real human voice. It's the kind of issue that would likely be forwarded to a tech and might get a call back. I had a case recently having to do with where my IP address showed me located and within a couple of days got a call back to work through the problem. Charter internet customer service is the most responsive I've experienced in roughly over years of cable use, certainly in a whole different league than Comcast. Btw, one of the reasons I use a paid email service (fastmail.fm -webmail, pop3, imap) instead of my ISP's address, is to have aliases available in cases like this (fastmail.fm was blacklisted for some time by some servers).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all your input. Some good suggestions, but for me to add the Charter pop server on my Thunderbird on the problem computer would be annoying. Yes, it would be a workaround, but I don't want to do that for just one person. If this occured with many recipients, then yes I would do it. What I can do is just use the other computer or just go directly to my charter email via their web-site. That works.

HOWEVER, THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED. I ended up in a lengthy chat session with Charter. They advised me to send the email to something like unblock.charter.net. Within 36 hours, the problem was gone. I'm not sure if that means Charter itself was doing the blocking or, more likely, msn. Anyway, case closed... for now!

Mel

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found that the ISP is not always the issue. There could be a relay server somewhere in between the ISP and the email recipient that is on a blacklist. I use MXToolbox.com to help diagnose the problem. You have to read the header of the bounce message and check the server that is rejecting the email.

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Had the same problem twice and I have charter. Was told by them (the tec I talked to the first time it happened) that their system had blocked the emails as spam. Both times I was told to send the emails to unblock.charter.net for them to look at and the issues were resolved within 24 to 36 hours.

Lon

Thanks

Dygme?

We take email for granted and always think/expect that our emails have reached their destination.
    You were fortunate enough that you got clued in on the fact that the recipient never received the email. You were also persistent enough to follow thru and resolve the issue.
    I have an unresolved sent-email episode that I spent many hours on and finally had to give up. It related to a *.pdf attachment and my ISP never even notified me of "undeliverable mail". I must have tried so many different ways to troubleshoot this problem. I would send the same email w/pdf attachment to gmail/hotmail/aol/yahoo accounts and they would all receive the payload. i would send a different pdf attachment and the problematic destination would receive it. I would change the name of this troubled pdf (thinking that maybe it was a pdf name character count limitation) and the pdf attachment would still disappear. I ran out of permutations and time with the trial and errors and I finally gave up.
    But one lesson that I learned from this recent episode is that proper email etiquette is STILL to reply back to the sender confirming reception and so that they won’t ever have to ask you “DYGME?” (“Did You Get My Email?”)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12